[HECnet] How long has your 20 been up?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 11:29:51 PST 2022

That just goes to show you how much time I spent on 16 bit platforms.

Or maybe not and I should have known better.  The Tops-20 uptime program
is actually inspired by a program of the same name that I first wrote
for OS/2 1.3.  This was back when OS/2 was running on a 286 in protected
mode and we were pretty amazed to see what an AT could actually do (once
you put on a 14 MB  Extender board).

The API to get the uptime was interesting; you called DosGetInfoSeg to
have OS/2 put a selector into your address space with useful bits of
information. This is quite similar in concept to the Tops-20 SPY UUO and
was thus a pleasant surprise.  The system uptime was kept in
milliseconds in a 32 bit field and had you had to strobe it out as two
16 bit words.

So I had to do cascaded division to convert and extract the fields I wanted.

Where things really got interesting was when I converted the program to
run in family mode, meaning the same code would execute under OS/2 and
DOS.  The BIOS time base is 18.2065 ticks per second.  Converting that
to thousands of milliseconds got me out to 48 bit partial results and 64
bit intermediate totals.

Of course, I could have used the 287 and had the floating point unit
take care of this, but where was the fun in that?  Besides, my code ran
faster.  Heh...