[HECnet] How long has your 20 been up?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:42:03 PST 2022

Greenwich Mean Daylight Savings Time?  I don't recall that I knew that;
I had always thought of GMT being meridian based and other times being
based off that, but GMT DST really would change the equation,
particularly for those areas that don't do DST.

So UTC makes sense, although I do confess that I did chuckle over frog
fulmination.  I spent some time in Italy studying for my second
bachelors and while most Frenchmen struck me as straight stand up folk,
there were the /others/...  My brother and I were in an overnight train
from Naples to Trieste and had two Australians in the sleeper with us
(it held six).  We were having a grand old time laughing and yacking
until who knows how late when the Parisian simply reached up and turned
out the light.  And so we went to bed...

I did the maintenance for the DN60 code, which was PDP-11 assembler, so
I ought to know better, but I guess I have just gotten too large word
width centric (36 or 64 bits).  You have enough bits so you just about
never need to get clever for OS and relating systems code.  However, one
of my favorite courses at WPI was Numerical Methods (we called it
"Nums"), so I pay attention to fractions.

The carry on the PDP-11 is another thing I forgot about.  The Microsoft
C library of the late 1980's handled 32 bit numbers as having the low
order 16 bits in the accumulator (AX) and the high order in the data
register (DX). ADD AX,/foo/ and ADC DX, 0 was an extremely common
sequence and unremarkable sequence in 8086/80286 code.

What surprised me was that INC (add one) didn't set carry, so you
couldn't do an INC AX - ADC DX, 0 sequence which would have been
faster.  I never did figure out how that was great.

It's probably silly, but one of the things I really liked about PDP-11
assembler were unnamed forward and backward relative jumps (I.E., $:).
Of course, you could really get yourself into trouble when you started
numbering them in hairy code.  At least I did.