[HECnet] How long has your 20 been up?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:31:20 PST 2022

Thanks for the URL, I'll put it into the enhancement list.  I'm still
not sure what I would put into the monitor and what would go into a
light weight (or full) NTP client, but I'll have a think about it.

Passing on to the Department of Pointless Programming, I 'enhanced'
uptime to handle the maximum 70 bit millisecond uptime.  It is:

    VENTI2 up for 37539161 Millennia, 7 Centuries, 2 Decades, 9 Years, 8
    Weeks, 2 Days, 11 Hours, 35 Minutes, 3 Seconds and 423 Milliseconds

So 37 million millennia is ...umm... well it's a long time.

The math was actually unremarkable, I changed an integer divide
instruction into a routine to handle single (IDIV), double (DIV) and
quadruple intermediate results (DDIV), picking the fastest divide that
wouldn't overflow.

The harder part was rewriting the grammatical routines to properly
inflect the plural noun case.  Once you get past Years, English
numerological noun inflection is no longer agglutanive (like Spanish)
but rather fusional, being more akin to Latin and Italian.  So the
routine did the wrong thing.

A little more than half the systems programming staff at Columbia were
bi-lingual, some spoke three or more languages.  So it bugged us to see
Unix cop-outs like "1 item(s)" processed.  I mean, it's a comparison and
conditional transfer; an if statement--barely more than 5 minutes' work.