From Lrobpoet at sonic.net Mon Oct 5 23:16:27 2026 From: Lrobpoet at sonic.net (Larry Robinson) Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 07:16:27 +0100 Subject: St. Francis Day - George Stenger Message-ID: <5F0105E8-1CE2-44EF-A8DA-A6AFE9016F25@sonic.net> St. Francis Day It is the evening of October third. My daughter and I are walking, talking. I tell her that tomorrow is St. Francis Day. ?I?m sure I?ve told you this before,? I say. ?St. Francis Day?two movies and pie for dessert.? ?What?? she asks. I explain: ?On St. Francis Day, as on Thanksgiving Day, we would have a varsity football game, two movies, good food, and pie for dessert.? For us, high school seminarians who rarely saw a movie and even more rarely had good food, this was the ultimate celebration of a special event. Two movies and pie for dessert. Now it is October fourth. I have maneuvered my way through the day, doing this errand and that chore, much the same as I would on any other day, only occasionally recalling what day it is. At six ten or so the phone rings. My daughter Jennifer asks what we are up to, says ?I have a surprise for you. Can I stop by? Maybe we?ll walk.? ?Sure,? I say. Now, you may see where this is going, but it truly was a surprise for me when in she walks, bearing movies and a pie, reminding me to celebrate this day, reminding me to celebrate this life. - George Stenger "Be joyful though you have considered all the facts." - Wendell Berry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: