[Pollinator] Beekeepers stung by disappearing bees

Scott Black sblack at xerces.org
Sat Apr 12 14:47:44 PDT 2008

Print This Article

Posted on Thu, Apr. 10, 2008

Beekeepers stung by disappearing bees

BY PHIL LONG AND LESLEY CLARK
With a third of the nation's honeybees disappearing because of a
mysterious malady, Florida's beekeepers are working to restore their
hives and nurse their bee colonies back to health.

Not only do the bees create Florida's $11.3 million annual honey
crop, they're also responsible for the pollination of a significant
part of the state's winter vegetable, fruit and citrus crops.
Nationwide, pollination is an estimated $18 billion segment of the
agricultural industry.

''One out of every three bites of food that we put in our mouths is
put there by the honeybee pollinating those crops,'' said Dave
Hackenberg, a 46-year veteran beekeeper, pausing between checking
hives south of Dade City. Bees buzzed noisily around him in the balmy
afternoon sun.

Most people equate bees just with honey and miss the critical role
they play in the state's agriculture. Bees are so critical to
agriculture, said Florida Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson,
partly because they are ``our No.1 pollinator.''

''We're the fruit and vegetable basket for the whole northeast United
States basically, and big parts of Canada, during the winter,'' Bronson said.

The honeybees pollinate a wide range of crops, from strawberry,
avocado, and blueberry to cucumber, squash, tangerines and zucchini.

The abrupt disappearance of honeybee colonies in North America began
in 2006. It's been attributed to Colony Collapse Disorder, but
scientists have been unable to pinpoint the cause of the disease.

When CCD happens, adult bees vanish from the hive, leaving and never
returning.

It could be the result of a combination of factors, experts say,
including pesticides, stress caused when the bees travel from state
to state to pollinate; drought; varroa mites, a tiny but fierce enemy
of bees that by itself has been devastating, or perhaps even a
completely unknown disease or a known disease breaking out at a more
severe rate.

''I guess the biggest thing that upsets me is that scientists have
been at this for 16 months, and, not their fault, but we don't have
any answers,'' Hackenberg said.

Statewide, about 33 percent of the bee population has been affected.
South Florida's honeybees have been less impacted by the disorder.

Lee del Signore, a Homestead-based beekeeper, said that might be
attributed to the area's year-round warm weather, rich diversity of
fresh pollen and nectar for the bees. Also, the bees that are sent
out for pollination are transported shorter distances.

But Hackenberg and many other of the state's 165 or so commercial
beekeepers have felt the sting of CCD.

Hackenberg said he has been hit with $400,000 in lost bees and
revenue over the past two years. He has replaced most of the
colonies, but not all of them.

He's had to increase his prices to recoup his losses. Once charging
$45 per hive to pollinate apples, he now charges $65. Blueberries
have gone from $60 to $90.

And those prices, he adds, are passed on to consumers.

He and other beekeepers have had to rebuild their colonies, mostly by
installing new groups of bees into hives.

The workers scurry from hive to hive, gently calming the bees with a
few puffs of smoke, installing new broods of young bees, sometimes
adding queens and checking on the health of each hive. Each step adds
to the growth of the hive.

Now he's readying about 2,900 colonies of bees for the fruit orchards
and vegetable fields from mid-Florida to the Northeast where they
will pollinate everything from apples to pumpkins.

On Wednesday, a panel of bee experts convened in a Senate office in
Washington, D.C., discussing research into what one called an
''alarming decline'' in the bee populations.

It is unlikely the bees will become extinct but the beekeepers might,
said May Berenbaum, who heads up the entomology department at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

''Our pollinator portfolio is in great disarray,'' Berenbaum said.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., who is pushing for $20 million in
federal funding for bee research, noted that many of her state's
crops, including almonds and berries, are dependent on ``healthy pollinators.

''There is so much for people to be concerned about here,'' Boxer
said. ``Our food supply is under a grave threat.''

California is the biggest honey producing state, followed by North
Dakota and Florida.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has been scrambling to assign more
of its money to honeybee health issues. The Senate has passed the
five-year farm bill with $100 million over five years for bee health
while the House has passed one that spends just under $85 million
over five years. The two numbers will be worked out by a conference committee.

''This is a serious problem nationwide and some other places in the
world,'' said U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, a Fort Lauderdale Democrat,
who majored in zoology in college and has introduced funding
legislation in Congress to help the beekeepers.

''I can tell you that it impacts us an awful lot. And not just from
the standpoint of those who are in the industry,'' he said. ``But if
there are no bees, there is no pollination.''

*************************
Scott Hoffman Black
Ecologist/Entomologist
Executive Director
The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
4828 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97215
Direct line (503) 449-3792
sblack at xerces.org

The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit organization that
protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.

To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work,
please visit <http://www.xerces.org/>www.xerces.org.