[Pollinator] pollinator curricula?

Tim Miklasiewicz miklasiewicz.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 15 10:37:32 PDT 2005

Hi Rob,

         I suggest that you contact Karen Strickler at Pollinator Paradise,
who works with native bees in New Mexico and could provide state-specific
information.  You can reach her via the website
http://www.pollinatorparadise.com/.

         A consortium of groups headed by the American Museum of Natural
History sponsors an intensive bee course each year during August
(http://research.amnh.org/invertzoo/beecourse/).  That course is based at
the AMNH Southwest Research Station in Portal, AZ, and does some field work
in western NM.  Steve Buchmann of The Bee Works
(http://www.thebeeworks.com/) might also be able to assist your
project.  He is one of the Bee Course instructors/organizers.

         There are some nice web-based documents located at the AATRA
website http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nativebee.html, International
Pollination Systems (http://www.pollination.com/), and the Pollination Home
Page (http://pollinator.com/).  You can also access a wealth of information
about pollinators from the USDA Bee Biology Lab in Logan, UT
(http://www.loganbeelab.usu.edu).

         Hope this helps you to get started.  There's alot of information
out there.  The real challenge may be translating to material useful and
interesting to the target audience.  I would encourage schools to set up
pollinator gardens containing features such as nectar/pollen plants for a
variety of pollinator groups (bees, flies, beetles, butterflies/moths,
hummingbirds, bats), butterfly/moth larval host plants, resident bee
shelters and other nesting opportunities, so that students and teachers can
continue learning on their own beyond the inevitable limits of your
visits.  If you need more help, you can contact me directly.

Best wishes,
Tim Miklasiewicz

Tim Miklasiewicz, Ph.D.            miklasiewicz.1 at osu.edu
Ohio Bee Conspirators