[Pollinator] Oenothera visiting bees needed

bugsrus at yorku.ca bugsrus at yorku.ca
Wed Jun 15 07:27:29 PDT 2005

Greetings

If any of you know of sites where there is a nice patch of
Oenothera laciniata and/or the domesticated yellow evening primrose
east of the mississipi, I would be most grateful to hear about it.
We already know of localities in New York and Ontario, have not had
success with the bee we are looking for in the Carolinas despite old
records of it and plenty of flowers!

The bee we search for is Sphecodogastra oenotherae and it can be
easily identified as it enters the flowers even before they are
fully opened around dawn!  The bee goes to sleep at around 9am, so
this is only for the early riser.  Perhaps some of you might see
it while out jogging?  They are brown/black and fairly non-descript
halictids until you get out the microscope, but any bee with the
above mentioned behaviour is almost certain to be this species.

Replies to bugsrus at yorku.ca and/or azayed at yorku.ca

Many thanks

Laurence Packer