[Pollinator] request for butterfly specimen techniques

Kimberly Winter nappcoordinator at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:04:24 PDT 2005

Hello:

Would anyone be able to send me a technique for preserving a butterfly in
a see -through medium like plastic? I've heard that such can be done by
pouring liquid plastic (don't know what brand) around the specimen, which
then hardens; I've also heard bubbles can form using this technique if the
specimen has oxygen in it.

So, any help with a "recipe" for a  successful technique would be
appreciated.  The goal is to preserve the specimens so they can be used
for education and outreach purposes.

Thanks

Cathy

Cathy Carnes