[Pollinator] Bears Vs. Berries (and Pollinators?)

Faisal Moola fmoola at davidsuzuki.org
Fri Aug 11 08:45:57 PDT 2006

Thank you bill for the post on the attempt by the town of Whistler to reduce
bear-human interactions by eradicating berry-producing flora in town. My
comments aren't with regards to the impacts on pollinators, but I wonder
whether this management attempt will actually work.

Several years ago  Azim Mallik and I published a paper on the response of
clonal plants (blueberry - Vaccinium spp.) to vegetation control in forest
plantations in the Canadian boreal (both herbicide and mechanical control -
cutting with mechanical saws). We were interested in finding out whether
vegetation control in forest plantations had an impact on the availability
of wild fruit for bears.

Whilst the herbicide treatment did significantly reduce fruit production per
hectare (primarily as a result of killing most of the understory flora), the
mechanical treatments (cutting the above-ground stems) actually increased
berry production within a few years of treatment. Clipping and cutting stems
resulted in signficant sprouting of new reproductive stems by clonal means
(both off burried rhizomes, and from the base of surviving above-ground
stems). This is a common response by most clonal plants to mechanical
destruction of above-ground biomass (burning, cutting, even grazing by
animals).

Without knowing the specific vegetation being targetted (if they are clonal
or not), I suspect that the town of Whistler may find that their success
will be temporary at best, and may in fact exacerbate the problem in the
long run.

Cheers

 - faisal

Faisal Moola, PhD