[Pollinator] Mid-winter Honeybees

RESEARCH Hilton Pond research at hiltonpond.org
Sat Feb 4 08:57:13 PST 2006

A much warmer than average January in the Carolina Piedmont had
people wearing shorts and flip-flops, and even the Honeybees were
flying--despite the absence of flowers on which to feed. You may be
surprised--as we were--to find out where these industrious little
insects are actually foraging.

For a discussion of Honeybee winter behavior, please visit our "This
Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay for 22-31 January at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek060122.html

As always we include a tally of birds banded and recaptured during the period.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL
--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org