[Pollinator] Introducing pollinators to new areas?

John S. Ascher ascher at amnh.org
Tue Mar 7 12:03:47 PST 2006

Hi all,

I am writing to clarify the probable cause of recent declines in subgenus
Bombus and to make a few comments on deliberately introduced invasive
bees.

The abrupt, recent declines in Bombus s.str. are thought to be due to
spread of an exotic pathogen (quite possibly a strain of Nosema) or
pathogens, so the effects of introduced bees are likely indirect in this
case. There is no evidence for direct competition between Bombus s.str.
and  escaped or released managed bumble bees. Another noteworthy indirect
effect has been loss of the social parasite Bombus (Psithyrus) ashtoni
from areas where its Bombus s.str. host(s) have disappeared.

Recent collecting by Sam Droege and others reveal that Osmia cornifrons
and Anthophora plumipes, both deliberately introduced by USDA scientists,
are well established in Maryland and vicinity. Osmia cornifrons is also
widely distributed in New York state and elsewhere in natural and urban
(non-orchard and therefore non-target) ecosystems to the extent that it
could reasonably be classified as invasive species. Osmia cornifrons and
especially Anthophora plumipes were well known to be generalist species
prior to their release.

Also of interest, a Japanese torymid parasitoid of Osmia (including our
native species) and another Japanese Osmia species (O. taurus) have been
found in Maryland near the release site of O. cornifrons from Japan.

John Ascher