[Pollinator] Introducing pollinators to new areas?

Sheila Colla scolla at yorku.ca
Mon Mar 6 18:32:24 PST 2006

Hi all,

Some work has been done on the effects of introduced bees on native pollinators.
 The following is a good paper that reviews most of the potential negative
effects:

Goulson, D. (2003) EFFECTS OF INTRODUCED BEES ON NATIVE ECOSYSTEMS. Annual
Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics Vol. 34: 1-26.

Although it has proved to be difficult to study these impacts directly, there is
a growing consensus that native pollinators have been declining and the
commercial use of bees may be a significant factor.  For example, the native
North American bumble bees of the subgenus Bombus (ie. B. terricola, B. affinis
and B. occidentalis) are thought to be declining throughout their ranges and the
timing of this decline is almost exactly when the use of bumble bees for
greenhouse pollination expanded in North America.  There have also been studies
done on small scales that show outcompetition of native bees by introduced bees.
 Unfortunately, it seems likely that the naturalization of exotic bees would
almost always negatively impact native pollinators!
­
--
Sheila Colla <scolla at yorku.ca>
MSc. Candidate (Biology)