[Pollinator] Pollinator Symposium Now Free - Help Spread the Word

Laurie Adams LDA at coevolution.org
Mon Sep 4 18:17:21 PDT 2006

The North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC), the USDA Forest Service, and the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service are hosting a Pollinator Symposium in Washington on October 18.

We are asking your help in getting the word out that, thanks to underwriting, the symposium is now free and registration is open.

Please send emails to all your contacts with the enclosed attachments and the agenda (embedded below).  Here are some of the details:

The symposium is called The Pollinator Partnership:Protecting Plant-Pollinator Interactions World Wide.

It is open to the public and is particularly of interest to anyone from the US, Canada or Mexico in conservation, agriculture, science and ecology, or policy.  It is also open to the press, and we will have a press room available at USDA for the speakers to answer questions.

This is a world class opportunity to introduce newcomers (those who have no idea about pollinator's importance in our world) as well as those whose daily work involves pollination, to the concept of the health of pollinators as an emerging conservation issue.

The Symposium will :
- Review the NAS NRC Study on the Status of Pollinators with the Chair Dr. May Berenbaum;
- Celebrate the signing of the proclamation to declare June 24-30, 2007 National Pollinator Week.
- Unveil the USPS Pollination Stamp Series.
- Much more (see agenda below)

Attached are the full information sheet and the registration form; and an agenda is embedded below for you to let others know about the Pollinator Symposium.

Guests do not have to attend the whole day, but they do need to sign up, and get on our list for security.

We feel it is important to get this on people's calendars NOW!

We would appreciate your help in spreading the word and personally inviting people to register.

Thank you for your help.  I also hope you can attend the Symposium and will send in your registration form  ifyou have not done so.

Feel free to contact me, Jen Marks (jm at coevolution.org) or NAPPC International Coordinator Dr. Kimberly Winter (KW at nappc.org)  if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Laurie Adams
Executive Director

Wednesday, October 18, 2007

USDA Jefferson Auditorium (please see attachment for details)

Symposium

Pollinator Partnership: Protecting Plant-Pollinator Interactions World Wide

Agenda - revised September 2, 2006 - subject to change

8:00-10:00 AM

Welcome and Proclamation

Hon. Mike Johanns, Secretary US Dept. of Agriculture (invited not confirmed)

General Pollinator Education

Ann M. Bartuska, Ph.D., Deputy Chief Research and Development, USDA Forest Service (invited not confirmed)

NAS NRC Status of Pollinators: Monitoring and Prevention of their Decline in North America

May Berenbaum, Ph.D., Chair NAS NRC Pollinator Panel

10:00-10:20  COFFEE BREAK

Policy and International Outlook

Michael Ruggiero, Ph.D., Director, Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS).

Bee Importation-NAPPC White Paper on Bombus Terrestris

Gabriella Chavarria Ph.D., Defenders of Wildlife

The Pollinator PartnershipT

Laurie Davies Adams, Executive Director, CoE and NAPPC

USPS Pollination Stamp

Stephen Buchmann, Ph.D., Co-author "The Forgotten Pollinators"

Hon. Yvenne Patrice Moore, 40th Postmaster of Washington, DC (invited not confirmed)

12:00-1:00 BREAK for LUNCH

Public Land Management

Marshall Jones, Deputy Director, US Interior Department, Fish and Wildlife Service

Agricultural Outreach

David White, Montana State Conservationist, USDA-NRCS

Private Land Management

Robert Johnson, President, Wildlife Habitat Council

Public Education Efforts

Christine Flanagan, Public Programs Manager, US Botanic Garden

2:40-2:50 BREAK

Panel: Answers Questions/Next Steps/Final Words

Peter Kevan, Ph.D., University of Guelph

Gordon Frankie, Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley

Jonathan Mawdsley, Ph.D., National Fish and Wildlife Foundation

Coro Arizmendi, Ph.D., Laboratorio de Ecologia-UBIPRO

Moderator: Paul Growald, Chair, NAPPC and Coevolution Institute

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Coevolution Institute
423 Washington St. 5th
San Francisco, CA 94111
415 362 1137
www.coevolution.org
www.nappc.org
www.pollinator.org

Visit the above sites to register for the October 18
Pollinator Symposium at the USDA Jefferson Auditorium

Our future flies on the wings of pollinators.