[Pollinator] Federal Highway Admin. help for habitat research

Kimberly Winter nappcoordinator at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:16:20 PDT 2006

>From our NAPPC Partner Bonnie Harper-Lore (this relates to the recent
discussion about wildlife, pollinators, and roadway plantings!):

The FHWA, Natural Environment Team no longer has environmental research
funding.

The ONLY way we can get it back, is IF our stakeholders (YOU) take time to
say what you want.
This sounds desperate, because it is.  PLEASE FORWARD AND REGISTER TOO!!!

Below is a one page explanation from all my team members.  Your help will
only take 5 minutes.  It REALLY is that easy.

Just visit:  http://knowledge.fhwa.dot.gov/cops/step.nsf

In four easy steps you will help us help critters, wetlands, brownfields,
reduced mowing, biodivsersity, water quality, conferences, and conservation
in general.  Remember our roads run through your lands.  Our decisions and
capabilities affect all of us.

Thanks for your help.  My team and I really appreciate it!   We hope to
partner with you in the near future!

Sincerely,
Bonnie

Bonnie L. Harper-Lore
Restoration Ecologist
Office of Environment, HEPN-30
Federal Highway Administration
360 Jackson Street, Ste. 500
St. Paul, MN  55101
651-291-6104

STEP Research Program, 2006

Your friendly FHWA Natural Environment Team needs your input on our new
approach to funding research!  STEP is the only source of funds to conduct
all FHWA research on planning and environmental issues.  Stakeholder input
will take priority.  This is your opportunity.

What is STEP?
Surface Transportation Environment and Planning Cooperative Research
Program.
STEP is the new research funding process for FHWA Headquarters-funded
research in 2006-2009.  The issues receiving the most input on the STEP
website are those most likely to get priority consideration.  We need your
help to make Natural Environment issues, such as wildlife-vehicle
interactions, habitat, water quality, wetlands, and vegetation management,
priorities for 2006-09 research funding!

What will STEP fund?
STEP will fund research, field demonstrations, technical transfer,
conferences and workshops.  In fact, our two biennial conferences
International Conference on Ecology and Transportation, as well as Weeds
Across Borders, will be funded this way and need your support.  Grants and
cooperative agreements are possible with a match.  Research contracts will
not require a dollar match.

Take these four easy steps:
Only one page and about five minutes of your time should help us all!
      STEP #1:  Visit  http://knowledge.fhwa.dot.gov/cops/step.nsf.
      STEP #2:  Under Feedback Topics, chose “Environment”
      STEP #3    Under Environment, chose one of our areas:
		Water/Wetlands
		Vegetation/Wildlife Habitat
		Brownfields
		Environmental Streamling/Stewardship
      STEP#4:   Fill out the one page form with your ideas and submit.

Final deadline:  September 15, but please do not wait.  Submit today.

Your Natural Environment Team thanks you:
Paul Garrett,
Mary Gray,
Pat Cazenas,
Connie Hill,