[Pollinator] Mason Bee pollination project needs you support!

Sbrustkern at aol.com Sbrustkern at aol.com
Fri Jul 20 10:32:41 PDT 2007

Hi:

This started with several thousand ideas, from which they chose the top 50,
which has now been pared down to the top 25 projects to be voted upon, and
after  your review, I hope you will find my proposal, "restore our bee
population!" to  be the one that you vote for.  For your ease of access I have posted my
 project at the end.  Our future flies on the wings of  pollinators.  Thanks
for your time and thoughts on this project,  and please spread the word!
(there are several cards that make you  eligible to vote.  See site for complete
list)

Steve

Sent from the Internet _(Details)_ (aolmsg://037cdf48/inethdr/2)

                        We're down to 25 truly  incredible projects. Which
ones will make the  Final 5 and go head to head for funding from  American
Express? That's for Cardmembers to  decide.    From the environment to  education,
there's a variety of inspiring  project ideas to back. So join Cardmembers at
_membersproject.com_
(http://email.americanexpress.com/a/hBGnNJ8AQB6AABPwgx5ADuz3O$f/axp1)   and cast a vote for your favorite project  idea.    Don't
forget, the more  Cardmembers who register, the more dollars we'll  donate - up to
$5 million - to make a positive  impact. And on July 24, we'll announce the
Final  5.     _Vote  now_
(http://email.americanexpress.com/a/hBGnNJ8AQB6AABPwgx5ADuz3O$f/axp1)     P.S. — Get a more in-depth  look at The Members Project on
the latest  episode of the Pulse, in which video-blog  pioneer Amanda Congdon
explores how New Orleans  is going green.
_Check out The  Pulse_
(http://email.americanexpress.com/a/hBGnNJ8AQB6AABPwgx5ADuz3O$f/axp2)

Project ID:  01085
Date  Posted: 7/02

Pennsylvania  State University Dept. of Entomology
 (http://www.membersproject.com/Environment_Wildlife/1085#supporter)

Project  Description:
With the  collapse of our honey bee population, for  reasons unknown, I am
proposing that we  propagate a replacement for the honey bee while  there is
still the opportunity. Approximately  85% of the fruits and vegetables that we
consume  rely on pollination, and I am suggesting that a  suitable replacement
could be the ORCHARD MASON  BEE, which can be done on a large commercial
basis. With the proper funding, this project can  be accomplished in a relatively
short time frame  of three to five years.More  Information:
Date Posted: 7/08
Pollination is  vital to our survival and the existence of  nearly all
ecosystems on earth. 80% of the  world's crop plants depend on pollination.
Pollinators, almost all of which are insects,  are indispensable partners for an
estimated 1  out of every 3 mouthfuls of food, spices and  condiments we eat, and
the beverages we drink.  They are essential to the fibers we use, the
medicines that keep us healthy, and more than  half of the world's diet of fats and
oils.  Insect pollinators, including honey bees,  pollinate products amounting
to $20 billion  annually in the U.S. alone. What is pollination  and who are
pollinators? Pollination occurs when  pollen is moved within flowers or carried
from  one flower to another of the same species by  birds, bees, bats,
butterflies, moths, beetles  or other animals, or by the wind. This transfer  of
leads to fertilization and successful seed  and fruit production.
Date Posted: 7/08
Pollinators are  essential to life. Nearly 80% of our world's  crop plants
require pollination. Birds, bees,  butterflies, but also beetles, mosquitoes,
and  even bats transfer pollen between seed plants.  This function is vital for
plant reproduction.  Pollinators need protection. Without  pollinators, humans
and ecosystems cannot  survive. Due to biodiversity threats such as  land
development, pollution, and pesticide  poisoning, we are losing pollinators
around the  world at an alarming rate. Greater awareness and  global action are
required now to change this  trend. Learn about pollinators here and get
involved. Whether you are gardener, a farmer, a  resource manager, an educator, or
simply an  interested consumer, the Pollinator Partnership  provides news,
resources, programs, and an  extensive digital library to support you in  helping
pollinators. From small daily actions to  larger organized activities, you can
get  involved in many ways.
Date Posted: 7/08
A Little Life  History . . . Solitary bees such as the Blue  Orchard Mason
Bee were pollinating the fruits  and flowers of this continent for millions of
years before the first colonists brought the  honey bee to North America
sometime before 1638.  Mason Bees are one of North Americaâs most  common bees
having colonized both sides of the  Rocky Mountains and across the United States.
Our tiny friend is black with a blue sheen and  are about 2/3 the size of a
honey bee. They  often go unnoticed because of their small size  and are
mistaken for flies from a distance.  While they are not as sophisticated as the
honey  bee they are superior pollinators. An average  honey bee visits about 700
blooms daily, but  pollinates only 30. Mason Bees visit an average  of 1600
flowers daily and pollinate almost all  the flower stigmas they come in contact
with.  ________________________________________

Member:  sbrustkern
About Me:
Steve  Brustkern. Washington state resident. Consults  to individuals,
estates, farms, and commercial  operations, (such as vineyards), that wish to  get,
and keep,their properties chemical and  pesticide free. Have been propagating
Orchard  Mason Bees for the past 10 years, and now have  several thousand,
which I have placed primarily  in the Pacific Northwest, but currently have 20k
in the Almond orchards in So. California as part  of a test with Christopher
O'Toole, Head of Bee  Systematics and Biology Unit, Oxford University  Museum
of Natural History, Oxford, UK. While I  find the other 49 proposals to be
compelling, I  believe that we must take care of our  pollination issue in order
to keep our food  chain well stocked and healthy. Without food,  the other
projects have little meaning!

Whither the Bees?
Fruits and vegetables are an essential part  of a healthy diet. Over 90
fruits and vegetables  rely on honey bees for pollination but honey bee
populations have been crashing, and the cause is  unknown. The new syndrome called
Colony Collapse  Disorder has resulted in a significant loss of  honey bee colonies
across North America. Honey  bees are responsible for pollinating crops worth
 more than $14 million. We at Penn State  University have been researching
honey bee  health and other bees, such as Osmia cornifrons.  Our team of
scientists is dedicated to finding a  solution to the health problems of honey bees,
increasing the use of other bees for  pollination, and training young
scientists who  will continue this work. We are investigating  bee diseases, bee
nutrition and pesticide  impacts. One avenue of research is evaluating
pollinators that are alternatives to honey bees.  The Blue Orchard Mason (BOM) Bees are
known to  pollinate fruit, including apples, cherries,  raspberries and
blueberries, and may be useful  for the pollination of vegetables. BOM bees are
extremely industrious and very people-friendly.  However, we do not know enough
about BOM bees as  a replacement for honey bees in commercial  agriculture.
University research is the backbone of  innovation in our agricultural
production  system. Investments in university research to  help solve the honey bee
problem and develop  alternative pollinators is money well spent. An  American
Express Members Project grant would  help equip laboratories, generate
concrete  information on alternative pollinators and  solutions for honey bee health
problems, fund  the education of graduate students, and keep the
agricultural community informed of the newest  advances in bee and pollination
management.

Track or promote this project on  your personal page or website using the
Members  Project Widget. Grab it here, pre-loaded with  all the details of this
particular project.  (http://www.membersproject.com/widget.htm?id=1085)

                 *To  be eligible to register and participate in The Members
Project you must be a legal resident of the 50 United States  or the District
of Columbia and at least 18 years of age and  the holder in good standing of
an American Express Card  issued by American Express in the United States.
Employees  of American Express and their immediate family members are  not
eligible to submit a project idea. Members Project Terms  and Conditions apply.
Visit _membersproject.com_
(http://email.americanexpress.com/a/hBGnNJ8AQB6AABPwgx5ADuz3O$f/axp1)  for  details.