[Pollinator] Barry Thompson's CCD Experience

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Sat Mar 3 15:47:25 PST 2007

Any other stories that people would like to share?  Laurie

>From Barry Thompsaon in response to the work at Penn State - posted on the
NAPPC LISTSERV this week:

Laurie,
   In retrospect, the USDA, Maryland state officials and I have wondered if
we saw an earlier occurrence of "disappearing disease" or CCD when I found that
19 of my colonies had abandoned their hives in February 2005. The bees left
brood (which they almost never will do) and ample stores of honey; and queen
and bees were just gone (from colonies in which they had been found in good
shape a month earlier.) Studies at USDA Beltsville and at Maryland Department of
Agriculture revealed no consistent pattern of problems.
   We theorized that dry August and September, poor nectar flow in October,
queens that quit laying early (due to adverse environmental conditions) and
resultant clusters comprised of older bees that died off in larger than usual
numbers over the winter) placed the colonies under stress, such that some trigger
(such as mite build-up) caused them to "abscond" into almost certainly fatal
winter weather. I tried feeding bees pollen substitute and sucrose syrup in
the fall of 2005 and was rewarded with larger clusters that fall and a better
over-wintering survival than the previous season. However, winter 2005-2006 was
fairly mild; so we may not have executed a "real" test.
   This year, losses appear to be between 20% and 40% (thus far); but I have
some explanation (starvation, tracheal mites, or tiny clusters unable to
survive the 7-8 F. mornings that we had earlier this month) for almost all losses.
CCD does not appear to be obvious in Maryland at this point. However, state
inspectors are noting significant losses of colonies from some sort of adverse
impact, as early spring inspections get underway. The story is far from over,
it seems.
   With large numbers of colonies leaving Maryland for California (almond
pollination), orchardists and truck farmers in the state will be looking for a
significant number of those bees to be returned to MD in time for apples,
blueberries, pickles and ultimately pumpkins.
   Likely TMI with a focus on Maryland; I hope you find something interesting
in the saga.
Barry Thompson

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Coevolution Institute
423 Washington St. 5th
San Francisco, CA 94111
415 362 1137
LDA at coevolution.org
http://www.coevolution.org/
http://www.pollinator.org/
http://www.nappc.org/

Bee Ready for National Pollinator Week:  June 24-30, 2007.  Contact us
for more information at www.pollinator.org

Our future flies on the wings of pollinators.