[Pollinator] New pollinator fact sheets

Matthew Shepherd (Xerces Society) mdshepherd at xerces.org
Tue May 22 09:17:15 PDT 2007

We've just redesigned our series of pollinator conservation fact sheets. Each sheet provides a simple overview and basic guidance on providing a different aspect of pollinator habitat. The sheets cover choosing plants for bees (there are three sheets: Pacific Northwest, California, and a general sheet for North America), providing nests for native bees, and butterfly gardening. The information is useful for almost any area of land, from urban backyard through to natural areas, although butterfly gardening is strictly for gardens because the plant lists combine native and non-native species.

These sheets are all in glorious color, and can be downloaded as a PDF file from our website, www.xerces.org. Click on "Pollinator Conservation" and then "Xerces Publications," or just click on "Xerces Publications" on the home page.

These fact sheets are a great starting point. If you want more information, we also have a series of guidelines we've prepared for a selection of landscapes. Each of these discusses the issues and opportunities in some detail and provide detailed advice on integrating pollinator habitat into land management. All are available as PDF files from our website, as above. The current guidelines are:
Making Room for Native Pollinators. This are aimed at golf course superintendents and were published by the U.S. Golf Association in 2002.
Making More Room. In the past year or two, we've been working with the golf community in the PNW to present a series of seminars. Making More Room was produced as training materials for these seminars. It was written as a companion to Making Room for Native Pollinators, and updates the original guidelines and expands them to include information on butterflies. Appendices contain detailed plant lists for Oregon and Washington.
Pollinator-Friendly Parks. Alongside the golf course work, we've also been working with managers of public parks and greenspaces. These guidelines focus on the things that can be done in such places. The chapters are relevant for all regions, but the detailed plant lists (nectar plants and hostplants) are for Oregon and Washington. (We hope to produce a more widely relevant list in the future.)

We also have Farming for Bees, which is targeted at farmers. Watch this space; a new edition is due out any time!

And I have to mention the Pollinator Conservation Handbook as a resource. It's not free, but you can find information about it and how to purchase it on our website.

Matthew
The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that
protects the diversity of life through invertebrate conservation. To
join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work,
please visit www.xerces.org.

Matthew Shepherd
Director, Pollinator Conservation Program
4828 SE Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland, OR 97215, USA
Tel: 503-232 6639 Cell: 503-807 1577 Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: mdshepherd at xerces.org