[Pollinator] Home Depot Phases Out Pesticides in Canada

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 14:34:38 PDT 2008

Thanks to Kathy Kellison for forwarding this.

_http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2008/22/c8079.html_
(http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2008/22/c8079.html)

TORONTO, April 22 /CNW/ - The Home Depot(R) today announced that it  will
voluntarily stop selling traditional pesticides and herbicides in its  stores
across Canada by the end of 2008 and will increase its selection  of
environmentally friendly alternatives.
The Home Depot is  the first home improvement retailer to stop selling
pesticides voluntarily  across Canada and will phase out the products long
before legislated  deadlines. The Home Depot stores in Quebec do not sell
pesticides. In  addition, there are currently over 55 municipalities in Canada
where the  residential use, but not sale, of pesticides is banned. As the
leader in the  Canadian home improvement industry, The Home Depot will not
sell
any  traditional pesticides and currently offers over 50 natural alternatives
for  its customers.
"Like our customers, we, at The Home Depot, are  concerned about the
environment," said Annette Verschuren, president of The  Home Depot Canada and
Asia. "We are going above and beyond government  regulations by working with
our suppliers to develop pesticide alternatives  that are environmentally
friendly and produce excellent results on lawns and  gardens."
Pesticides will be phased out of The Home Depot  stores across Canada
starting today. By June 2008, The Home Depot anticipates  that 62 of its
stores
nationwide will no longer sell pesticides, with all 166  stores offering
additional environmentally preferred replacement products by  the end of 2008.
"Our stores will prominently feature green  pesticide alternatives, in
addition to our current Eco Options products, and  our trained associates will
continue to provide customers with product  information and tips, as well as
on-line support," added  Verschuren.
Product categories currently affected by The Home  Depot's voluntary
phase-out include herbicides, insecticides, fungicides,  slug baits, moss
control products and lawn fertilizers with weed control. A  total of 60
products will be affected.
As the environmental  leader in the home improvement retail sector, The
Home Depot Canada has  developed a number of environmental initiatives to
date.
For the past eight  years, the company has held its Mow Down Pollution
lawnmower trade-in event  to help consumers reduce smog emissions when
trimming
their lawns. The Home  Depot Canada also offers more than 1,500 Eco Options
products, including  all-natural insect repellents, organic plant food and
vegetables in  biodegradable pots. The wide array of Eco Options also includes
compact  fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs, programmable thermostats,  cellulose
insulation, front-load washing machines, and certified wood. The  company also
offers the only national recycling program for CFL  bulbs.

* General  Information About BEE-L is available at: *
*  http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm    *

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator  Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 22-28, 2008.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

listings at AOL Autos.