[Pollinator] Signs of Decline: First Honeybees, Now Bumblebees

Scott Black sblack at xerces.org
Wed Aug 6 18:46:21 PDT 2008

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/?nav=pf>
washingtonpost.com

Signs of Decline: First Honeybees, Now Bumblebees

By Adrian Higgins
Thursday, August 7, 2008; H01

The honeybees seem to be bucking the trend and
thriving for the moment, at least in my garden.
So I have stopped watching them at work and
turned my attention to the native bees.

The honeybee came over from the Old World, but
there are more than 3,500 species of indigenous
bee, from the pesky carpenter bee, which buzzes
you in April as it starts to tunnel into your
woodwork, to the tiny sweat bee, which alights on
your arm to take a sip of perspiration. If you
look closely and it's the right species, you can
see that it shimmers an iridescent green.

Of all the native bees, the bumblebee is the
cuddliest. All right, you wouldn't want to hug
one (it will sting if really threatened), but the
bumblebee is quite content to let you watch it
work, buzzing from flower to flower in search of pollen and nectar.

"There's something very iconic about bumblebees,"
said Mace Vaughan, conservation director of the
Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation,
based in Portland, Ore. "They're like little flying bears."

This made me doubly curious, so I looked for bees
on my Russian sage the other day and found a
bumblebee at work, with a dark gray abdomen,
balls of orange pollen on the legs and a creamy
mane of hair on the thorax, like the fur stoles
that women used to wear for a night on the town.

I called Sheila Colla, a bumblebee expert at York
University in Toronto, and described it to her.
She said it was either the common eastern
bumblebee or the two-spotted bumblebee. A quick
Internet search confirmed it as the former. "And
they're absolutely everywhere," she said. For now, that is.

Colla is at the forefront of some alarming
bumblebee research. As a doctoral student, she
has been tracking other formerly common species
of bumblebee. Colla took field surveys of
bumblebees between 2004 and 2006 in southern
Ontario, comparing the results with data gathered
in the early 1970s. She could find only 11
species, down from 14, and of those 11, four were
in decline. Colla also spent periods in 2005 and
2006 looking for one of the missing species, the
rusty-patched bumblebee. She traveled to 43 sites
in Ontario, Quebec and 14 states, including
Virginia, Pennsylvania and North Carolina. The
sites were chosen because the species had been
recorded at those locations in surveys going back
a century or more. The result: One rusty-patched
bumblebee was found in a park in Ontario in 2005,
but none elsewhere. That was her last sighting of the insect.

What is most alarming to entomologists is that
the rusty-patched bumblebee used to be one of the
most common bumblebees in fields, farms and
gardens from Ontario to Georgia. "It was the
third or fourth most common species out of 14," she said.

Locally, the bee was last recorded in 2002, said
Sam Droege, of the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center in Laurel.

In addition, a second formerly ubiquitous species
is in rank decline, the yellow-banded bumblebee.
"Surveying this summer, we have found [it] in
some places, but it seems to have been pushed into boreal forests," Colla said.

The Xerces Society has placed the rusty-patched
bumblebee, the yellow-banded bumblebee and two
western species, the western bumblebee and
Franklin's bumblebee, on its red list of
most-threatened insects. Franklin's, confined to
southern Oregon and northern California, has not
been found since 2004 and might be extinct.

But other common species are also showing signs
of decline, according to the society, including
the American bumblebee and the yellow bumblebee.

As with colony collapse disorder in honeybees,
the causes of bumblebee decline are not
scientifically defined and might be a combination
of factors. The honeybee disorder, sometimes
called CCD, has galvanized the global scientific
community, given the honeybee's importance to
crop pollination. The Xerces Society is
assembling the data of approximately 30
scientists in North America to document the state
of the bumblebee, which is also an important pollinator.

"You look at all their data and what we see is
really discouraging," said Scott Hoffman Black,
the society's executive director. "It's a picture
of a really drastic decline toward extinction."

Black and Vaughan say they hope the public's
growing awareness of the honeybee's plight will
spill over to the bumblebee and other native bees that might be in trouble.

Vaughan said the decline of many bumblebee
species has engendered a number of theories,
including habitat loss and the commercial rearing
of bumblebees for crop pollination. The vibration
of bumblebee wings is so violent that it causes
the pollen from one bloom to shake onto another.
This "buzz pollination" is particularly effective
in fertilizing tomatoes, cranberries and
blueberries. Commercial breeders took species of
American bumblebees to Europe to perfect breeding
techniques and then brought them back to the
United States. Researchers theorize that these
bees caught a disease from European bumblebees
and have spread it to wild populations via
escapees from commercial greenhouses.

Meanwhile, Colla is studying the effects of a
relatively new class of pesticides called
neonicotinoids, which were introduced in the
early 1990s. The pesticides have been linked to
the vanishing honeybees. Colla, in lab tests on
bumblebees, said that when given doses as low as
12 parts per billion, "they can barely move." The
chemical affects the development of the queen bee's ovaries, she said.

Can home gardeners help? Sort of. "We don't have
a smoking gun yet," Vaughan said. "Because the
declines are so widespread, it signifies to us
there's some sort of disease" beyond the control
of the homeowner. But the gardener can take steps to help the bumblebee.

By planting lots of flowers that the bumblebee
likes, "you're strengthening the immune system,
strengthening their ability to produce more
young," he said. The society's Web site lists
shrubs, perennials and herbs that the gardener
can plant to feed bumblebees, including asters,
joe pye weed, blueberries, sunflowers, sedums,
borage, hyssop and marjoram. (At
<http://www.xerces.org>http://www.xerces.org, go
to "Xerces Publications," then "Fact Sheets About
Native Pollinators," then "Plants for Native Bees in North America.")

The second thing is to minimize the use of
pesticides, especially when bees are on the wing.
It is also up to a homeowner to monitor spraying
by a landscape maintenance company.

"Most people don't know the difference between a
bumblebee or a honeybee," Black said, "but we are
seeing, since CCD reared its head, more and more
people interested in the subject."

But the plight of the bumblebee is still
relatively unknown. "They are small animals;
people don't think about it," he said. "People
are thinking about high gas prices and the war in Iraq."

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

*************************
Scott Hoffman Black
Ecologist/Entomologist
Executive Director
The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
4828 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97215
Direct line (503) 449-3792
sblack at xerces.org

The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit
organization that protects wildlife through the
conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.

To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work,
please visit <http://www.xerces.org/>www.xerces.org.