[Pollinator] Discover the Forest - Forest Service and Ad Council Connect Kids with Nature

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 13:47:15 PDT 2009

The USDA Forest Service joined with the Ad Council this June to launch  “
Discover the Forest: Where The Other You Lives,” a public service advertising
(PSA) campaign that aims to re-connect kids with nature. To help accomplish
this  goal we created television and radio spots as well as the interactive
website _www.discovertheforest.org_ (http://www.discovertheforest.org/) .
As  you know, children need quality outdoor experiences to create a life-long
love  of nature, and to become the caretakers of the future. To coincide
with the new  campaign the Forest Service and Ad Council have also developed a
variety of  social media tools to help extend the message. We’ve gotten a
great response so  far, and with your help we can re-connect even more
children and families with  nature!

As partners with the Forest  Service, we invite you to spread the word
about this campaign to your  organizations by passing on the
discovertheforest.org website, and by joining in  with our social media outreach. Here’s how
you can help the Re-connecting Kids  with Nature social media effort:

Facebook –  The Discover the Forest campaign now has a Facebook page!
Become our  friend and encourage your network of friends to do the same.  Feel
free to  post your thoughts and comments to our wall. Type “Discover the
Forest” into the  search field to find our page.
_http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Discover-the-Forest/115883522093?ref=ts_
(http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Discover-the-Forest/115883522093?ref=ts)

MySpace –Discover the Forest also has a presence on My Space.  Become our
MySpace friend and please encourage your network of friends to do the  same.
_http://www.myspace.com/discovertheforest_
(http://www.myspace.com/discovertheforest)

Twitter – We’ve created  Twitter’s first tweeting squirrel – Cheecker.
Follow Cheecker as he provides  advice for getting kids back out into nature.
You are also encouraged to  re-tweet Cheecker’s message to help spread the
word.  Also, when tweeting  about the campaign or Cheecker make sure to use
the tag #foresttweets so others  can see your support!
_http://twitter.com/cheecker_ (http://twitter.com/cheecker)

Forest  Tweets –. This specialized Twitter page will compile all tweets
using the  tag #foresttweets and show on a Google map where they are coming
from throughout  the country. This will provide families both with ideas on how
to experience  nature in their communities and chose destinations.
_http://www.foresttweets.org_ (http://www.foresttweets.org/)

With your help we  can re-connect even more kids with nature immediately.
This past Wednesday, we launched the Discover the Forest  Sweepstakes -- an
interactive photo/art sweepstakes that encourages kids to  head into the
forest and return with a photo or piece of artwork that somehow  represents
their experience.  Please help us to spread the word about this  exciting
opportunity. The sweepstakes is easy to enter:

·      Simply upload your child’s picture  at
_http://sweeps.discovertheforest.org_ (http://sweeps.discovertheforest.org/)  to post it in the gallery
where  your friends and family can check  them out and even vote on the ones
they like best.

·         All those that submit a photo or piece of artwork  are eligible
for a chance to win a $100 or $1000 gift card, donated by The North  Face!

·         Also, anyone  who enters and then votes on their favorite is
eligible for an extra chance to  win a $50 gift card from The North Face. The
$50 prizes are drawn weekly, so be  sure to come back and vote often!

Thanks in advance for  your support!  If you have questions about the
Discover the Forest campaign  or about any of these opportunities, please contact
Katie Armstrong with the  Forest Service Office of Communications at
karmstrong at fs.fed.us..

Sincerely,

Leslie Weldon                  Safiya Samman
External Affairs Officer          Director, Conservation  Education
USDA Forest Service      USDA Forest  Service

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive  Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th  floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 21-27, 2010.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)