[Pollinator] Stinging Insects (Some Pollinators)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at HILTONPOND.ORG
Fri Sep 4 18:42:57 PDT 2009

We're not sure which is worse for an educator-naturalist--to suffer
weeks-long misery from Poison Ivy dermatitis or to experience sudden
but short-term and life-threatening anaphylaxis after being stung by
an insect. Although we've managed to avoid ivy toxin this summer,
after a series of wasp stings we decided to turn our camera toward
the business end of some critters that caused us considerable pain.

To view our "This Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay about stinging
insects--some of which happen to be pollinators--please visit the
1-21 August 2009 installment at
<<http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek090801.html>>

You'll also want to scroll down for our usual list of birds banded
during the first three weeks of the month and to read some
miscellaneous nature notes.

Happy Nature Watching,

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
(803) 684-5852

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org