[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 08/22/09 (Butterfly Value)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Wed Sep 9 10:23:58 PDT 2009

There have been lots of butterflies flitting around as of late, which
reminded us of a query once posed by Marston Bates: "What good is a
butterfly?" That odd question long ago had major impact on the way we
study and teach about natural history, so we decided "This Week at
Hilton Pond" to ruminate on a butterfly's value. To view our latest
photo essay for 22-31 August 2009, visit http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek090822.html

While you're there, please scroll down for a list of all birds banded
and recaptured during the period, plus some miscellaneous nature
notes--including one about a significant local increase in hummingbird
numbers.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
(803) 684-5852

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org