[Pollinator] Pollinators and the urban forest

Jennifer Tsang jt at pollinator.org
Thu Sep 17 14:42:54 PDT 2009

Please send responses directly to David Tukey at dtukey at upenn.edu.

Thank you!

  _____

From: David Tukey [mailto:dtukey at upenn.edu]
Subject: Pollinators and the urban forest

I am currently working on a planning/vision framework for the urban forest
of Philadelphia and my district, West Mt Airy, in particular.  I would
welcome your suggestions on how this framework for the urban setting
dovetails with your programs and projects.

In a nutshell, the framework has three key elements:

a] The quality of life for our neighborhoods includes the urban forest,
wildlife habitat and ecology wherein it is situated.

b] Because trees are a defining characteristic of our neighborhood, we
encourage efforts to plant, maintain and celebrate trees.

c] Given the significance of our local ecology and wildlife habitat, we
endorse the appropriate plantings of native trees, shrubs and perennials.

There is a significant migratory bird population in our area, and I am
gaining a sense of what plantings might benefit them.  What I am also
thinking about now are other goals for the plantings, such as for
pollinators.  Ideally we ought to promote plantings that, when combined,
maximize as many ecological goals as possible.  I would be grateful for your
thoughts on how this vision could be realized in an urban setting, and how
pollinators fit into an immediate area that is not food producing.

Please feel free to share this inquiry with colleagues whom you think would
be interested.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Dave

David D. Tukey

Martha S. Miller Urban Forestry Intern '09-'10

Morris Arboretum

100 E. Northwestern Ave.

Philadelphia, PA  19118

215-247-5777 ext. 149