[Pollinator] Groups seek regulation of bumblebee shipments

Stephen Goodwin/Marilyn Steiner mands at ceinternet.com.au
Thu Jan 14 02:11:53 PST 2010

By all means request evidence of disease-free status of commercial
bumblebees, as a condition of permits to ship and import, but there is a
difference between caution and prevention and making an accusation that as
far as I am aware has still not yet been backed up by proof. Please, let us
be scientists first and present firm evidence of association before pointing
fingers and asking for excessive regulatory action. There are many possible
causes of bumblebee decline, which should concern us all. The declines
aren't confined to western North America. When I visit my home country of
the UK, I am shocked at the lack of not only bumblebees and honeybees, but
all pollinators, including beetles and flies. There are studies underway
there also looking for a connection with commercial bumblebees and seeking
to lay blame. It certainly won't be found for the other pollinators. Looking
for one smoking gun is not going to resolve the problem.

Perhaps I missed it, but I do not recall mention of a recent paper (2009) by
Grixti et al in Illinois (Biological Conservation 142: 75-84), showing from
museum collections that the major declines in bumblebees there were in the
period 1940-1960, coinciding with large-scale agricultural intensification.

Sincerely

Marilyn Steiner

Biocontrol Solutions

Mangrove Mountain NSW