[Pollinator] Pollinator interaction data

Jennifer Tsang jt at pollinator.org
Thu Jan 14 09:23:07 PST 2010

A message from Antonio Saraiva (saraiva at usp.br) of the University of Sao
Paulo is below.

  _____

Dear colleague:

We are contacting you to invite you to participate of the definition of a
common schema for managing pollinator interaction data.

The global community, through the Convention on Biological Diversity, has
recognized the importance of pollinators to ecosystem health and sustainable
agriculture.

To better understand pollination and how to conserve and manage it, we need
to capture more information about plant-pollinator interactions.

People have been observing the process of pollination for centuries, but we
now have new data management tools that may help to share and compile
information on plant and pollinator interactions, so that overall trends can
be better documented.

However, we need a common schema about pollinator interaction data that
allows us to share and compile data and identify trends on them. The
definition of that schema is the main objective of a global initiative to
which we invite you to participate.

Your contribution is most important, given your expertise on
pollinators/pollination.

We already have colleagues from many countries and continents that have
joined and have sent their suggestions and comments, but you are an
important player in this community and that is why we would like to have you
on this initiative, which is supported by FAO, IABIN, and FAPESP.

Please take some time to read the attached document that has more details
and reply positively.

All the best,

Antonio Saraiva / University of Sao Paulo saraiva at usp.br

Barbara Gemmill-Herren / FAO