[Pollinator] Bat Conservation International has a New Leader

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 15:05:42 PST 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Susan  Kwasniak
_skwasniak at batcon.org_ (mailto:skwasniak at batcon.org)
512.327.9721
Bat Conservation International has a New  Leader
On  March 1st, Bat Conservation International will welcome its new
Executive Director, Nina Fascione. She succeeds Merlin Tuttle, who founded BCI  in
1982 and built it into the world’s foremost organization for bat
conservation.
“I  have known and admired Merlin for many years, and I am thrilled at this
 opportunity to help protect his legacy and build on it as Bat Conservation
 International expands into the future,” Fascione said.
She  currently is Vice President for Field Conservation Programs at
Defenders of  Wildlife in Washington, D.C.  She  joined the organization as a
program associate in 1995 and rose quickly to  leadership positions. A
conservation professional for 24 years, Fascione brings  a rich range of experience
with wildlife, including bats, to her new role of  leading BCI.
Fascione has worked in various aspects of bat-conservation education and
outreach, and currently leads Defenders of Wildlife’s work on White-nose
Syndrome—a devastating epidemic that has killed an estimated million or more
hibernating bats of six species in nine states. She was co-chair of the
American  Zoo and Aquarium’s Bat Taxon Advisory Group in 1991-97, coordinating
strategic  planning and implementation of conservation and breeding programs
for threatened  bats.
Internationally, she was an advisor to such initiatives as a lion project
in northern Kenya, a koala-conservation summit in Australia and zoo-research
 training in Taiwan. She co-founded the Emerging Wildlife Conservation
Leaders  program. She also worked with a coalition of groups to draft and seek
congressional support for the Great Cats and Rare Canids Act to fund the
conservation of 15 imperiled species.
“We are very  excited about Nina’s enthusiasm and her vast experience in
the conservation of  mammals and especially her interest in bats during her
many years of service  with Defenders of Wildlife,” said John Mitchell, Chair
of BCI’s Board of  Trustees.
When  Merlin Tuttle founded BCI, many American bat species were endangered
or  declining in numbers severe enough to warrant concern.  Today, bats are
facing their greatest  threats ever—White-nose Syndrome and wind turbines.
“Stepping back from BCI after all these years has been difficult, but  Nina
Fascione is an excellent choice to lead the organization into the future
and I look forward to working with her,” said Merlin. “I wish only the best
for  Nina and BCI in the years to come.”

About BCI
Bat  Conservation International’s (BCI) mission is to protect bats and
their habitats  for a healthy planet.  The  non-profit organization, based in
Austin, Texas, and its 10,000 members are  devoted to conservation, education,
and research initiatives involving bats and  the ecosystems they serve.
Founded in 1982 by Dr. Merlin Tuttle, the  organization has achieved
unprecedented progress, emphasizing sustainable uses  of natural resources to benefit
both bats and people. For more information,  visit _www.batcon.org_
(http://www.batcon.org/) .

Laurie Davies  Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington  Street, 5th floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 21-27, 2010.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)