[Pollinator] Tiny radio transmitters track flight of tropical orchid bees

Scott Black sblack at xerces.org
Tue Jul 20 09:57:41 PDT 2010

SciAm.com logo

<http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/observations>Observations
-  May 27, 2010

Tiny radio transmitters track flight of tropical orchid bees

<http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=tiny-radio-transmitters-track-fligh-2010-05-27>http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=tiny-radio-transmitters-track-fligh-2010-05-27

By Katherine Harmon

Rare
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=virus-ravages-orchids>tropical
orchids can be few and far between in the wild,
often separated by spotty landscape and
human-made obstacles. But powerful tropical
orchid
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/report.cfm?id=buzz-on-bees>bees
do the leg­or wing­work, flying great distances
to pollinate isolated flowers and keep the flora gene pool fresh.

Just how far and where exactly these bees fly,
however, has remained relatively obscure to
researchers. Some studies had tracked bees by
marking them and using bait
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=sneaky-orchid-drives-wasps-wild-09-08-06>flowers
to lure them in for counting or by scouting out
specific flowers that bees appeared to return to.
But these results have created only a rough
sketch of the range and routes of these bees.

A group of researchers now has acquired far more
specific data, attaching tiny, 300-milligram
radio transmitters to the backs of male orchid
bees (Exaerete frontalis) to track their movements.

The bees clocked in at an average of 9.5 meters
per minute, usually logging more than three hours
of air time a flight. The longest flight recorded
was nearly two kilometers, and one intrepid bee
soared over the
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-plan-for-panama>Panama
Canal, eventually ending up some five kilometers
away before returning days later closer to where it had been caught.

"The data confirm that male orchid bees
habitually travel a distance that can help
connect widely dispersed orchids or other plants
which they alone pollinate, and that produce a
few
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=floral-footprint>short-lived
flowers daily," the researchers concluded in
<http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0010738>their
study, published online May 26 in the journal PLoS ONE.

Burdening 612-milligram bees with radio
transmitters might sound excessive, but the
researchers maintained that the bees can "easily
carry" them, Martin Wikelski, director of the Max
Plank Institute for Ornithology, said in a
prepared statement. And another member of the
team, Roland Kays, curator of mammals at the New
York State Museum, explained in a statement that
"carrying the transmitter could reduce the
distance that the bees travel, but even if the
flight distances we recorded are the minimum
distances these orchid
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=solving-the-mystery-of%E2%80%94i>bees
can fly, they are impressive, long-distance
movements." Of the 14 bees outfitted with
transmitters, five were tracked through the full
10-day duration of the transmitter battery life,
four were found dead and the others were lost.

"Radio tracking significantly improves our
understanding of bees and the plants they
pollinate," David Roubik, a senior scientist at
the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, said
in a prepared statement. "Now we can track orchid
bees to get the distances and spatial patterns
involved­vital details which have completely eluded researchers in the past."

"Given the escalating rate of human interference,
and the potential for
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=saving-the-honeybee>deterioration
of pollination services, it is critical that we
start to understand the complexities of these
relationships," the authors noted in their paper.
The new data from this study and others could
help inform conservation studies as well as work
in agriculture and general biology. At the very
least, these results "help to explain how orchids
these bees pollinate can be so rare," Kays said.

*************************
Scott Hoffman Black
Ecologist/Entomologist
Executive Director
The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
4828 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97215
Direct line (503) 449-3792
sblack at xerces.org

The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit
organization that protects wildlife through the
conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.

To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work,
please visit <http://www.xerces.org/>www.xerces.org.