[Pollinator] "Sustainable Agriculture Spotlight" with Jeff Birkby about pollinators

Matthew Shepherd (Xerces Society) mdshepherd at xerces.org
Wed Jul 21 10:11:42 PDT 2010

"Sustainable Agriculture Spotlight" with Jeff Birkby (outreach director for NCAT’s National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service) is broadcast on VoiceAmerica Talk Radio Network. Yesterday's (Tuesday, 7/20) program focused on pollinators and featured interviews with Rex Dufour of NCAT and Eric Mader of the Xerces Society.

You can listen to it or download a podcast at http://www.voiceamerica.com/voiceamerica/vepisode.aspx?aid=47437.

The program description from the website:
"Our nation’s fruit, nut, and vegetable supply depends on insect pollinators. But our conventional agricultural systems aren’t friendly to pollinating insects. Conventional agriculture also relies heavily on only one insect, the European honeybee, to pollinate most of our crops. In this episode, host Jeff Birkby interviews Eric Mader, National Pollinator Outreach Coordinator for the nonprofit Xerces Society. Also joining the program will be Rex Dufour of the National Center for Appropriate Technology. Eric and Rex will discuss the importance of pollinators in sustainable agriculture, and ways farmers and gardeners can attract beneficial insects to pollinate crops."

The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that
protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their
habitat. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our
work, please visit www.xerces.org.

Matthew Shepherd
Senior Conservation Associate
4828 SE Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland, OR 97215, USA
Tel: 503-232 6639 Cell: 503-807 1577 Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: mdshepherd at xerces.org