[Pollinator] Fwd: CATCH THE BUZZ - CCD Solution? Maybe.

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed May 26 08:39:47 PDT 2010

____________________________________
 From: Kim at BeeCulture.com
To: LDA at pollinator.org
Sent: 5/25/2010 9:55:04  P.M. Romance Daylight Time
Subj: CATCH THE BUZZ - CCD Solution?  Maybe.

This ezine is also available online at
_http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010.05.25.15.49.archive.html_
(http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010.05.25.15.49.archive.html)

Got a NO BUZZ  ZONE? Can’t keep bees where you live, or know someplace that
beekeepers  can’t be? Send me an email, with NO BUZZ in the subject line
and tell me  where, with your first and last name…Bee Culture Magazine,
thedailygreen.com  and Haagan Daz Ice Cream want to know. Send to
_Kim at BeeCulture.com_ (mailto:Kim at BeeCulture.com)  today!
Six  Weeks As A Beekeeper, and NOW WHAT???? See our next webinar in the
series.  Everything you need to know is at the bottom of this message.
CATCH  THE BUZZ
Very  Different Microbes Acting In Concert May Be The Answer To CCD
>From  the General Meeting Of Microbiology, San Diego, CA, May 25, 2010
New  research from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
identifies a  new potential cause for “Colony Collapse Disorder” in honeybees.
A group  of pathogens including a fungus and family of viruses may be
working together  to cause the decline.  Scientists report their results today at
the 110th  General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology in San
Diego.
“There  might be a synergism between two very different pathogens,” says
Jay Evans of  the USDA Agricultural Research Service, a researcher on the
study.  “When  they show up together there is a significant correlation with
colony decline.”
Beginning  in October 2006, some beekeepers began reporting losses of 30-90
percent of  their hives. Although colony losses are not unexpected during
winter weather,  the magnitude of loss suffered by some beekeepers was highly
unusual.
“Domesticated  honey bees face numerous pests and pathogens, tempting
hypotheses that colony  collapses arise from exposure to new or resurgent
pathogens,” says Evans.
To  better understand the cause of these collapses, in early 2007 Evans and
his  colleagues collected bees from both healthy and declining colonies
across the  country but primarily from California and Florida where most of the
commercial  pollination activity takes place. They have screened these
samples and similar  samples from each year since then for both known and novel
pathogens.
They  found a slightly higher incidence of a fungal pathogen known as
Nosema  ceranae in sick colonies, but it was not statistically significant  until
they began pairing it with other pathogens.
“Levels  of the fungus were slightly higher in sick colonies, but the
presence of that  fungus and 2 or 3 RNA viruses from the family Dicistroviridae
is a pretty  strong predictor of collapse,” says Evans.
Nosema  are transferred between bees via the fecal-oral route.  When a bee
initially ingests the microbes and they get to the mid-gut, they harpoon
themselves into the gut wall and live inside the epithelial cells there.
Evans believes that the slightly higher numbers of the fungus somehow
compromise the gut wall and allow the viruses to overwhelm the bees.  In  colonies
with higher Nosema numbers they found virus levels to be 2-3 times  greater
than healthy colonies.
While  this is a working theory and they are still in the discovery phase
looking for  new pathogens, Evans and his colleagues are also actively
looking for a way to  boost bee defenses against Nosema.
“A  way to protect against Nosema might be the key for now,” says Evans.
Find  out What’s New At Mann Lake right _Here_
(http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catchthebuzz/index.html)
Protein  feeding pays off with better bee health, better survival, better
production, and better wintering.  _Learn More._
(http://www.globalpatties.com/pages/why.html)
Subscribe  to Malcolm Sanford’s _Apis  Newsletter_
(http://www.apis.shorturl.com/)  right here For a comprehensive listing of  beekeeping events around
the country and around the globe, check out Bee  Culture’s _Global
Beekeeping Calendar_ (http://my.calendars.net/bee_culture/)
This  message brought to you by _Bee  Culture,_
(http://www.beeculture.com/)  The Magazine Of American Beekeeping, published by  the _A.I.  Root
Company._ (http://www.rootcandles.com/)

____________________________________

BEEKEEPING  WEBINAR INFORMATION
On Tuesday,  June 1, 2010, there will be a FREE webinar for everybody and
anybody  just starting out with bees this year. This is especially geared to
those who tuned in earlier this year for our Urban Beekeeper Workshop  with
Cindy, Cameo and and Toni.
Entitled  6 Weeks as a Beekeeper, Now  What?, the discussion covers what
your bees should be  doing now, what issues to look for that are problems now,
and anything  that might come up in the near future that you can prepare
for now.  We’ll be evaluating your queen’s productivity, examining brood
patterns  and balance, along with making sure there isn’t a drone laying queen
or  laying workers mucking up the works. Plus, we’ll be looking at IPM
programs and options for varroa and other issues. Supering? You bet,  it’s time
to give those bees more room, or if not, we’ll look at why  not. And in some
places this year, feeding is still an issue…we’ll  explore that too. Some
may even have a crop ready to harvest, so we’ll  take a look at those issues,
along with getting ready to  harvest&hellip ;which most of us hope to do in
just a little bit.  This isn’t for Beginner’s only though, so if you just
want a refresher  or what to find out what the newest information is on any
of these  topics, come on along.
Kim  Flottum, from Bee Culture magazine, and Shane Gebauer, General
Manager and long time beekeeper from Brushy Mountain Bee Supply are  hosting this
Free Webinar. How to register is below.
Title:
6 weeks as  a beekeeper...Now What?
Date:
Tuesday,  June 1, 2010
Time:
6:00 PM -  7:00 PM EDT
Space  is limited.
Reserve  your Webinar seat now at:
_https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/960734619_
(https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/960734619)

You received this email because you subscribed to Catch  The Buzz

_Change settings_ (http://member.ezezine.com/sub.ez?c=1636.20115.4146)
_Report abuse_ (https://member.ezezine.com/abuse.ez?e=1636.20115.4146)