[Pollinator] Fwd: MONARCH WATCH ANNOUNCES BRING BACK THE MONARCHS CAMPAIGN

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Oct 27 19:41:42 PDT 2010

____________________________________
 From: chip at ku.edu
To: dplex-l at listproc.cc.ku.edu
Sent: 10/27/2010  10:58:42 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: MONARCH WATCH ANNOUNCES BRING  BACK THE MONARCHS CAMPAIGN

News Release

MONARCH WATCH  ANNOUNCES BRING BACK THE MONARCHS CAMPAIGN

"In real estate it's location, location, location and for monarchs  and
other wildlife it's habitat, habitat, habitat", said Chip Taylor, Director  of
Monarch Watch. Monarch Watch, started in 1992 as an outreach program
dedicated to engaging the public in studies of monarchs, is now concentrating  its
efforts on monarch conservation. "We have a lot of habitat in this country
but we are losing it at a rapid pace. Development is consuming 6,000 acres
a  day, a loss of 2.2 million acres per year. Further, the overuse of
herbicides  along roadsides and elsewhere is turning diverse areas that support
monarchs,  pollinators, and other wildlife into grass-filled landscapes that
support few  species. The adoption of genetically modified soybeans and corn
have further  reduced monarch habitat. If these trends continue, monarchs
are certain to  decline, threatening the very existence of their magnificent
migration", said  Taylor.

To address these changes and restore habitats for monarchs,  pollinators,
and other wildlife, Monarch Watch is initiating a nationwide  landscape
restoration program called "Bring Back The Monarchs". The goals of  this program
are to restore 19 milkweed species, used by monarch caterpillars  as food,
to their native ranges throughout the United States and to encourage  the
planting of nectar-producing native flowers that support adult monarchs  and
other pollinators.
This program is an outgrowth of the Monarch  Waystation Program started by
Monarch Watch in 2005. There are now over 4,000  certified Monarch
Waystations - mostly habitats created in home gardens,  schoolyards, parks, and
commercial landscaping. "While these sites contribute  to monarch conservation,
it is clear that to save the monarch migration we  need to do more," Taylor
said. " We need to think on a bigger scale and we  need to think ahead, to
anticipate how things are going to change as a result  of population growth,
development, changes in agriculture, and most of all,  changes in the
climate," said Taylor.

According to Taylor we need a comprehensive plan on how to manage the
fragmented edges and marginal areas created by development and agriculture
since it is these edges that support monarchs, many of our pollinators, and  the
many forms of wildlife that are sustained by the seeds, fruits, nuts,
berries, and foliage that result from pollination. "In effect," Taylor argues,
"we need a new conservation ethic, one dealing with edges and marginal areas
 that addresses the changes of the recent past and anticipates those of the
 future."

For more information on this program, please visit the Bring Back the
Monarchs website --
http://BringBackTheMonarchs.org.

Please help us promote this program.

--

Monarch  Watch
monarch at ku.edu
http://www.MonarchWatch.org/
Dplex-L:  send  message "info Dplex-L" to Listproc at ku.edu
1-888-TAGGING (toll-free!) -or-  1-785-864 4441
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence,  KS 66045-7534
Create, Conserve and Protect Monarch  Habitats