[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 09/01/10 (Assault on Swamp Milkweed)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Tue Sep 14 07:13:12 PDT 2010

We're enthralled by an ever-expanding colony of Swamp Milkweed that's become established at our Carolina Piedmont locale, but "This Week at Hilton Pond" it appeared the milkweeds were under assault by an army of insects. To view a photo essay about these ravenous six-legged flower-, leaf-, and seed-eaters and their impact on our milkweeds, please visit the installment for 1-10 September 2010 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek100901.html

We include a word on milkweed pollinators, our usual list of birds banded and recaptured during the period, and miscellaneous nature notes about an odoriferous mammalian visitor, an influx of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and Northern Cardinals, and a nominee for our "Banded Bird of the Year" competition.

You may also be interested in knowing about two scholarships available for our hummingbird expedition to Costa Rica in January 2011. If you've always wanted to study hummers in the warm, sunny Neotropics when winter is at its worst in much of North America, here's your chance to receive a $1,799 trip scholarship and get a tax deduction while supporting Hilton Pond Center's education, research, and conservation endeavors.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org