[Pollinator] propylene vs. ethylen glycol, toxicity issues....

stephenbuchmann stephenbuchmann at comcast.net
Mon Apr 4 11:32:55 PDT 2011

Leslie and others,

That is not right.  Propylene glycol has a very LOW acute oral
toxicity to humans and other mammals. In fact, it is a registered
humectant food
additive!!    This is the substance I have used in all my AZ bee
traps. Sam Droege also uses this
substance. *Check Wikipedia citation if you want to see more. She has
confused
propylene with ethylene glycol, a common mistake for non chemists.

**Ethylene glycol is more toxic, to mammalian livers, in large
concentrations. It has a sweet taste and is moderately toxic. LDLO =
786 mg/Kg for
humans.  It gets oxidized to oxalic acid in the body, which is the
toxic agent....  If
spilled, in  water and soil the ethyl. glycol breaks down in a few
days or weeks. Not persistent.

I can't find an email address for Leslie Gilbert or I would have
responded to her directly. Sorry for spamming this info across the
listserve.

Thanks Lawrence!   Lawrence has used this substance to trap and survey
native
bees in the Atacama desert.

Best,
Steve