[Pollinator] FW: Concern about propylene glycol

David_R_Smith at fws.gov David_R_Smith at fws.gov
Mon Apr 4 13:35:19 PDT 2011

One should be sure of what chemical or compound they are discussing before
raising concern and warnings about it.  I use tech-grade propylene glycol
in my pollinator traps; the form used as a food preservative.  There are
enough chemi-phobes out there without spreading misinformation.  There is
a recent paper that discusses its use in insect traps: Nontoxic antifreeze
for insect traps. Entomological News 119(4):361-365. 2008.  Besides dogs
and cats should not be running loose outside where they can encounter
dangerous substances anyway.

Dave Smith