[Pollinator] Fwd: Tornados and Orchids

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Apr 19 10:27:19 PDT 2011

 From: bernhap2 at slu.edu
To: Michael.Arduser at mdc.mo.gov,  adafni at research.haifa.ac.il,
Sophie.Petit at unisa.edu.au, Marc.satterwhite at louisville.edu,  Chip.Tynan at mobot.org,
wood2 at slu.edu, robert-cruden at uiowa.edu, wxiao at slu.edu,  rpemberton5 at gmail.com,
claire.michenau at ulb.ac.be, claire.micheneau at ulb.ac.be,  S.Hopper at kew.org,
j.alcock at asu.edu, johnsonsd at ukzn.ac.za,  phh4 at leicester.ac.uk, hnonnenm at pittstate.edu,
hwang7 at slu.edu,  Ladadams at aol.com
Sent: 4/19/2011 8:11:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight  Time
Subj: Fwd: Tornados and Orchids

Dear Colleagues:

While Saint Louis escaped the cluster of 250 tornados that hit the
American south a couple of days ago we may have serious problems today as  violent
thunderstorms will pass through the city area and suburbs over the  daylight
hours.  Hail stones are reported to be ping pong ball to egg  sized.  I
wanted to contact you now as the power could go out.  As  St. Louis University
is Catholic (Jesuit) we will be closed April 21-25  reopening the morning of
April 26 so don't worry about a long silence.

The attached paper appeared on Monday in the "Proceeding of the National
Academy of Science." Please forgive the title,  I could not resist the  word
play (my paternal grandfather had a brief career in vaudeville).  The
association with the Kunming Botanical Institute (see their online  site, very
impressive) occurred when I was contacted by Ren Zong-Xin who was  trying to
finish his PhD 15 months ago and had only one more season of  fieldwork.  His
results were not "adding up" as the flower-insect  interactions were not
typical of the "mushroom mimicry" reported in the  Australian helmet orchids
(Corybas).  I suggested a new course of field  techniques based on some recent
literature.  As new data came in I  suggested he coat his flies with gold
and put them under the scanning electron  microscope to see if they carried
germinating fungal spores as well as orchid  pollen.  It became clear that
this orchid was "pretending to be sick"  after I went to the library at the
Missouri Botanical Garden and read up about  how infectious fungi make nectar
and special odors to lure flies onto diseased  leaves to carry away their
spores.  Ren's study reminded me of the famous  poem by WIlliam Blake (below)
but, this time, the flower exploits the "dark  secret love" of the invisible
worm.

For your information, "Science" and "Nature" refused to send our
manuscript out for review.  Ren received his PhD a couple of months ago  and is now
working for the Kunming Institute in a new department.    Sometimes there are
positive endings.

The  Sick Rose

BY _WILLIAM BLAKE_ (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/william-blake)

O Rose, thou art sick!