[Pollinator] Fwd: [beemonitoring] Bee Monitoring Paper [2 Attachments]

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 11:09:25 PDT 2011

____________________________________
 From: rgrundel at usgs.gov
To: beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com
Sent:  4/22/2011 7:18:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: [beemonitoring] Bee  Monitoring Paper [2 Attachments]

[_Attachment(s)_ (mip://0627e7e0/default.html#TopText)  from Ralph  Grundel
included below]

Our Bee Master (aka Sam) suggested I pass  along my recently published
paper on bee monitoring (Grundel, R., K. J.  Frohnapple, R. P. Jean, and N. B.
Pavlovic. 2011. Effectiveness of pan  trapping and netting for inventory of a
bee community. Environmental  Entomology  40:374-380) - a reasonable
suggestion, it seems, for a  listserv on bee monitoring.

This paper is based on a study of bee community  ecology that we carried
out in northwest Indiana, mainly at Indiana Dunes  National Lakeshore (see
Grundel, R., R. P. Jean, K. J. Frohnapple, G. A.  Glowacki, P. E. Scott, and N.
B. Pavlovic. 2010. Floral and nesting resources,  habitat structure, and
fire influence bee distribution across an open-forest  gradient. Ecological
Applications 20:1678-1692 for a summary of the  main study - I'm attaching it
as well, if you're interested).  In the  attached monitoring paper, we
address several questions that bee monitors  likely ponder, including how much of
an effort would it likely take to  document every species present in an
area (for the moderate size bee fauna of  northwest Indiana, the answer is
you'd have to collect a lot of bees to pick  up 100% of the species likely
present).  We also ask how netting and bowl  collecting seem to compare in
picking up species and how different ways of  increasing the number of bowls one
puts out on a survey (more transects per  day sampled, more days sampled per
survey, more bowl colors included in  surveys, more habitats sampled per
survey) might affect the rate at which  species are accumulated in a survey for
a given number of bees  collected.

Ralph

*********************************
Ralph Grundel
U.S. Geological Survey
1100 N. Mineral Springs Road
Porter, IN 46304

e-mail:  rgrundel at usgs.gov
Phone: 219-926-8336, ext 422

__._,_.___
Attachment(s) from  Ralph Grundel
2 of 2 File(s)

_Grundel  et al (2011) Env Entomology.pdf_
(http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/17598545/838953000/name/Grundel%20et%20al%20(2011)%20Env%20Entomology.pdf)

_Grundel  et al (Ecological Applications) 2010.pdf_
(http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/17598545/1991494108/name/Grundel%20et%20al%20(Ecological%20Application
s)%202010.pdf)

_Reply  to sender_
(mailto:rgrundel at usgs.gov?subject=Re:%20Bee%20Monitoring%20Paper)  | _Reply  to group_
(mailto:beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Bee%20Monitoring%20Paper)  | _Reply  via web post_
AzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRtc2dJZAMxNTAzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkE
c3RpbWUDMTMwMzQ4MTkzMw--?act=reply&messageNum=1503)  | _Start  a New Topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJma245ajF0BF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NT
k4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMDM0ODE5MzM-)
_Messages  in this topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/message/1503;_ylc=X3oDMTM1ZHZxNDZvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQ
DMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRtc2dJZAMxNTAzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMwMzQ4MTkzMwR
0cGNJZAMxNTAz)  (1)
Recent  Activity:
    *   _New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJncTdzcTg1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA
4MzEyNQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzAzNDgxOTMz?o=6)  2
_Visit  Your Group_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNHE3dmNxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRzZW
MDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMDM0ODE5MzM-)

MARKETPLACE

_Get  great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers
Center._
(http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15oc6d77o/M=493064.14543977.14365476.10835568/D=groups/S=1705083125:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1303489133/L=73f61794-6ceb-11e0-
970f-1bd02f49024d/B=BgQaRtBDRrI-/J=1303481933991932/K=WArlWL7k9VeI7Ys7DAiVKA
/A=6078812/R=0/SIG=114ae4ln1/*http://dogandcatanswers.yahoo.com/)

____________________________________

_Stay  on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on -
Get the  Yahoo! Toolbar now._
(http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15o72iade/M=493064.14543979.14365478.13298430/D=groups/S=1705083125:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=130348
9133/L=73f61794-6ceb-11e0-970f-1bd02f49024d/B=BQQaRtBDRrI-/J=130348193399193
2/K=WArlWL7k9VeI7Ys7DAiVKA/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.ya
hoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj)

Mw--)
Switch to: _Text-Only_