[Pollinator] Fwd: [beemonitoring] Re: number of US honey bee hives used strictly for polli...

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 10:10:05 PST 2011

____________________________________
 From: Pollinator at sc.rr.com
To: beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com
Sent:  1/31/2011 6:28:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: [beemonitoring] Re: number  of US honey bee hives used strictly for
pollination?

--- In _beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com_
(mailto:beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com) ,  Doug Yanega <dyanega at ...> wrote:

> I'm having some trouble  tracking down a firm estimate of the number
> of honey bee hives in the  US that are used solely for pollination and
> NOT for honey production  (the number for honey production was 2.44
> million hives in 2008, so  that figure is solid and citable). Does
> anyone know a good,  authoritative source for a nation-wide figure?

I doubt such a number  exists. The ag censuses are taken at the state level.

I filled out many  a form for the ag census over the years. At one
point in early summer, I  figured I had 1300 hives, of which only
about 200 were used for honey  prouction. This is not a major honey
producing area.

Thus my bees  were always undercounted, because they only counted the
ones used for  honey production. I pointed this out on several
occasions to the ag  department officials, but never saw any
indication of any change in the  census.

My pollination bees generally did at least two pollinations per
season, some did three. Do you count each pollination, or?

Another  item, some were used for queen rearing in the spring, then
generally  either given a queen or more likely merged back into some
nucs to build  them up quickly.

Even beyond this, the number of hives can vary quite a  bit throughout
the year and depends on how they are counted. I have little
confidence in the USDA's "solid and citable" figure.

In the fall, I  would generally "take my winter losses early" and
combine weak or  queenless hives with strong ones. After a summer of
pesticide hits, I  sometimes had to combine three or four.

If you asked me how many hives  I had, would you want to know: how
many after I made up 400 nucs in late  spring, how many I had left
after the cotton spray season, or how many I  had late in the winter?

Any real number for any purpose is probably  closely related to the
number of brood boxes with usable comb. A beekeeper  has to fill these
at least for a portion of each year, or lose the comb to  wax worms,
and once lost, they are usually more trouble to restore than to  get
new ones. And that figure is generally known only to the  beekeeper.

Dave Green
Retired SC beekeeper
_http://pollinator.com/blog/_ (http://pollinator.com/blog/)

__._,_.___

_Reply  to sender_
(mailto:Pollinator at sc.rr.com?subject=Re:%20number%20of%20US%20honey%20bee%20hives%20used%20strictly%20for%20pollination?)  | _Reply
to group_
(mailto:beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20number%20of%20US%20honey%20bee%20hives%20used%20strictly%20for%20pollination?)  | _Reply
via web post_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2s0YTU1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRtc2d
JZAMxMzQ5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTI5NjUyNzI4Mg--?act=reply&messageN
um=1349)  | _Start  a New Topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNXRmMjdpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQD
MTcwNTA4MzEyNQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyOTY1MjcyODI-)
_Messages  in this topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/message/1347;_ylc=X3oDMTM1ZGlwa2hmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQ
DMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRtc2dJZAMxMzQ5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI5NjUyNzI4MgR
0cGNJZAMxMzQ3)  (2)
Recent  Activity:
    *   _New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnNW02b2psBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA
4MzEyNQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjk2NTI3Mjgy?o=6)  1
_Visit  Your Group_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring;_ylc=X3oDMTJmN2FkNWNiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRzZW
MDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEyOTY1MjcyODI-)

MARKETPLACE

_Stay  on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on -
Get the  Yahoo! Toolbar now._
(http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15o2ki2sr/M=493064.14543979.14365478.13298430/D=groups/S=1705083125:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=129653
4483/L=e54282dc-2daa-11e0-939f-7f71b4e4d0f8/B=Ima6B0wNO60-/J=129652728352687
3/K=s0xY0EMkUAyNxlhmnDqbbw/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.ya
hoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj)

____________________________________

_Find  useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit
the  Fibromyalgia Zone today!_
(http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15o3ei5q5/M=493064.14543977.14365476.10835568/D=groups/S=1705083125:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1296
534483/L=e54282dc-2daa-11e0-939f-7f71b4e4d0f8/B=I2a6B0wNO60-/J=1296527283526
873/K=s0xY0EMkUAyNxlhmnDqbbw/A=6260316/R=0/SIG=11bc8n8gt/*http://custom.yaho
o.com/fibromyalgiazone/)

Mg--)
Switch to: _Text-Only_