[Pollinator] Fwd: Question to pass on_NAPPC - Bee repellent?

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 21:57:20 PDT 2011

Anyone have ideas for Robin?

____________________________________
 From: robin_eisman at yahoo.com
To: Ladadams at aol.com
CC:  steve at thebeeworks.com
Sent: 7/28/2011 9:23:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight  Time
Subj: Question to pass on_NAPPC

Dear Laurie,

Hope you're doing well - and that you remember my name.  I  co-chaired the
Consumer Outreach TF for a while, but "dropped out" of NAPPC a  few years
ago because of overwhelming commitments.  I'm hoping you can  direct me to the
right person to answer a couple questions, which may also be  useful for
others.  I've discovered that I'm allergic to one or more  hymenoptera, after
ending up in the ER a couple of weeks ago with severe  anaphylaxis after a
sting.  This is pretty devastating for me, given that  I occasionally do
field work in remote areas (and garden at home and volunteer  in/manage a couple
local parks/gardens, but those are at least close to major  hospitals).  So
here are the questions that I'm hoping to get  professional advice on -
lots of items on the Web, but I don't trust much of  that.

- for personal protection (until I can - hopefully - start  desensitization
therapy and reach maintenance dosing in ~6 months) - is there  something I
can use on myself as a repellent to bees/wasps?  ie,  something non-toxic
that's a true repellent.

- are there any native bees with venomous stings?  My allergist can  test
for and provide desensitization therapy for the following:  vespids
(yellowjackets / Vespula spp, white-faced and yellow hornets / Dolichovespula  spp);
honeybees; fire ants; and paper wasps (Polistes spp).  These  apparently
account for most but not all insect stings - so I'm trying to  figure out how
much risk I'm at in terms of other venomous insects, and  whether there's
any chemical similarity among these species'  venoms (if  so, desensitization
to these other species could provide partial protection,  I'd guess).

I did check out the info on the NAPPC/PP website for gardeners, which had
useful info on avoiding attracting bees/wasps, but nothing on  repellents.
I imagine lots of people have similar questions.  I  don't plan to change my
planting of natives for pollinators, either at my  house or the small
public garden I manage, but I do need to be more  careful.   And I'd be happy to
be a "poster child" for someone w/a  serious allergy to stinging hymenoptera
who's still pollinator-friendly   - though if one of them kills me, that
approach could backfire...   ;  )        (I'm in black-humor mode, having
visited the allergist today and coming away pretty depressed.)

Thanks for passing this on, and I'll happily disseminate any info to my
allergist and local nature centers, env'l groups, etc.

Best,

Robin Eisman