[Pollinator] Fwd: Question to pass on_NAPPC - Bee repellent?

Barry Thompson bht1113 at aol.com
Fri Jul 29 13:51:32 PDT 2011

Robin, Laurie,
   There aren't many effective repellents for Hymenoptera, as far as I know. DEET is offered as a component but may not be what you, Robin, see as non-toxic. Undertaking desensitization as soon as possible and carrying epinephrine (EpiPen) seems the most rational approach. No doubt, your allergist has suggested staying away from "dangerous" situations, insofar as that's possible.
Do take heart though; desensitization is relatively painless, rapid and effective. Good luck!
Barry

Barry H Thompson, MD, FACMG Medical Director
American College of Medical Genetics
Bethesda, Maryland

                      Sent from my iPhone