[Pollinator] London Mayor Boris Johnson in save the bees bid

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 18:04:44 PDT 2011

>From London 24 - London for Londoners
London Mayor Boris Johnson in save the bees bid
_Dominic Gover, reporter_ (mailto:Dominic.Gover at Archant.co.uk)  Tuesday,
June 14, 2011
4:16  PM

Science genius Albert Einstein feared their demise would spell doom for
mankind, now London’s bee population is a top priority for Mayor Boris
Johnson.
One in every three mouthfuls of food we eat is dependent on pollination by
bees, but the bee population in England has slumped by more than half over
the  past 20 years.
In response, City Hall this week launched a campaign urging Londoners to
become ‘bee-friendly’ to help to save the humble insect.
Fifty community hives are being installed in 22 boroughs, while a ‘grow
your  own’ scheme plans for 1,000 new community cabbage patches for nectar-rich
plants  which bees thrive upon.
Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, said: “I want London to boast a great
quality  of life making it an attractive place to live, work and visit.
Protection of our  environment is an important part of this. My ‘bee-friendly’
pledge as Mayor is  to zealously safeguard our city’s green spaces.”
Mikey Tomkins, London Food Link, said: “With more people unable to find
allotments, many are looking for alternative spaces to produce food. To do
this  it is vital to protect our local pollinators.
“Honey bees in particular are crucial as they are the main pollinator
people  can manage, yet the number of bee hives in use is in decline in the UK.”
Warnings on pesticides in gardens which kill huge numbers of the insect
also  form part of a new viral advertising campaign.
To find out more about how to help bees thrive in London, visit:
www.capitalgrowth.org/bees