[Pollinator] Fwd: BEE exhibit in Wash DC

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Oct 4 15:33:05 PDT 2011

____________________________________
 From: rhozbud at sbcglobal.net
To: Ladadams at aol.com
Sent: 9/30/2011  10:36:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: BEE exhibit in Wash DC

hi Laurie,

fyi - upcoming exhibition opens Oct 14 at Cross Mackenzie Gallery, Wash  DC
(continuing until 11/11).

Press Release from Cross Mackenzie Gallery:

Contact: Rebecca Cross 202.333.7970
_becca at crossmackenzie.com_ (mailto:becca at crossmackenzie.com)

We are pleased to present the  exhibition,  “The Landscape of Bees”
Photographs by  Rose-Lynn Fisher.  The opening reception at our  gallery will
include a book signing and honey tasting with the artist October  14th from
6-8pm.

The California based photographer, Rose-Lynn Fisher says  of her subjects,

“Our most important pollinator, the ultimate  synergist, an architect,
spatial genius, winged apothecary, and the transmuter  of the finest substance
of nectar into honey, the honeybee has been revered  and utilized by
civilizations throughout time.”

Fisher’s reverence for the honeybee is unparalleled as  evidenced by her
astonishing black and white photographs of ultra close-up  images of the
anatomy of these magical creatures.  The  detail revealed is stunning and
surprising.  Magnified  sometimes up to 5,000 times in a scanning electron
microscope, the patterns  she discovers are otherworldly, more like landscapes than
miniatures. Hair and  pollen look like forests of trees and boulders through
Fisher’s lens – the  bee’s abdomen resembles rolling foothills after a
forest  fire.  The fact that the compound eye of the bee is  made up of
hexagons mirroring the hexagonal structure of their honeycombs  expands our
thinking about the natural world.  Our  sense of scale is confused and connections
of micro and macro are made  tangible.

Fisher’s focus is sharp and her images are  clean.  The richness of her
grey scale, her deep blacks  and contrasting whites, subtle warm tones and
gentle light, would please any  classic photography connoisseur.  There are no
extraneous elements in these photographs and they function like powerful
abstractions at this scale.  But, that they are images  of bees is essential  –
 there is a message  here.

One third of what we humans consume, depends on bee  pollination - their
plight is deeply connected to  ours.  The honeybee population is shrinking
fast,  having declined 35% from 2006 – 2009, threatened by mites, habitat loss,
 pesticides and the mysterious colony collapse disorder that has devastated
 their numbers.  These photographs help us appreciate  bees on another
-usually unseen - level, through this artist’s sensitive  vision. Gaining a
deeper understanding of their hidden beauty and structure  will no doubt point
us towards the direction of  conservation.

“ I offer these photographs in celebration, respect,  and gratitude for all
that they do and are.”
- Rose-Lynn Fisher from her  book, “BEE” (2010 Princeton Architectural
Press)

The photographs will be on view through November  11th.

=