[Pollinator] Fwd: Another comment RE: Bee protection group (bumblebee) under fire for f...

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 14:40:29 PDT 2012

____________________________________
 From: Rainer.Krell at FAO.ORG
To: ICPBR at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA
Sent: 8/1/2012  2:01:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Another comment RE: Bee protection  group (bumblebee) under fire for
failing to fight pesticide  "armageddon."

Dear Peter and all,
Many thanks for all the info and discussion.
Just a thought – could not help myself to not comment:
This is not a court of law where any chemical is safe until proven  beyond
any doubt of its damage capacity and risk.
(Releasing just any kind of chemical, tested or not, into any  environment
is not a basic human right.)
All this calling on better science is fine and acceptable as  logical
linear thinking – which science is good at. It does however, not solve  the basic
problem of increased rates of environmental intoxication; first of  all,
because most decisions are not made based on scientific probabilities,  they
only inform the decision making process. If decisions really would be  taken
based on thorough science and science would serve decision making for  the
best solutions (for all), then the appropriate methodology for a life
support system would be the reverse of what it is right now. We would test a
chemical for whether it is good for the environment and whether it
simultaneously fulfils a number of additional requirements among which could  be the
balancing of insect species in an agricultural  field.
In addition, the problem is not good or bad science or insufficient  science
, the problem is that products are put out in the field (or  environment)
before being tested thoroughly for their negative effects. While  it should
be the other way around. Using the same linear approach, one would  use all
this science and collaboration and perfecting of the methods and tests
before putting the chemical out there, and only do it if it tests safe and
beneficial to the whole life process in the environment and human bodies.
Such an approach would be perfectly safe and acceptable, if it were  not
for different commercial interests from the chemical producer’s side. Also
because, these new chemicals are not at all needed by the agricultural
producers. There are plenty of other non-toxic alternatives available (still),
thus we can well wait for another decade or two to perfect scientific methods
and test more.
It is however commercial interests that have been pushing, for many
decades, the whole thinking into a different direction, i.e. that of more
effective and better chemicals (assumed safe until proven toxic by  non-producer
financed laboratories/institutions) to resolve systemic problems  of
inappropriate, and ill-adapted production systems and production thinking.  The
agricultural field is not an industrial assembly plant, nor is the human  body a
sophisticated machine. Once we overcome these outdated industrial era
concepts we might also come to accept the inadequacy of the  a-chemical-to-fix-it
mentality at all levels, be they producers, processors,  industry,
politicians, scientists, or consumers.
Systems thinking is not a panacea and there is more, but giving it  at
least a try at all levels would us get a little further and more in step  with
our technical, chemical and biological (and also mental) capacities. The
precautionary principle, for example, is not anti-industry, it is pro-human
evolution. In my opinion it would do good if all participants in this game
would every now and then revisit their intrinsic or basic values, not
necessarily those currently accepted by their employers, on the basis of which
they think and act.
Such thinking would also do good to enter into the new risk  assessment
methodologies.
Even in the darkest tunnel there is still hope to find a light, if  one
keeps on moving and following those inner-most guiding principles. And
hopefully the first light is not the one of the on-coming train.
Rainer Krell
(A  personal thought, not one representing in any form an opinion of my
employer)