[Pollinator] New Video: The "Fractionator" Speeds bulk washing of specimens and separation of large and small insects

Sam Droege sdroege at usgs.gov
Thu Aug 2 06:21:54 PDT 2012

All:

Here is our latest video.  As you can see from the video byline, we
borrowed this idea from the fabulous free thinkers at the USDA
Micro-Hymenoptera Lab at the Smithsonian.  We now use this technique for
all our large batches of bees.  In addition to speeding up the quantity
and quality of our specimen preparation it also permits separation of
large from small fractions of insects.  The USDA folks are always
interested in those small, mostly neglected fractions, even if you are
not.

Here is the link to the video:

http://youtu.be/SUVVLHxd6Y0

Its Creative Commons Licence so you can use it in anyway you like!

Thanks

sam

Sam Droege  sdroege at usgs.gov
w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD  20705
Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

I thought the earth remembered me,
she took me back so tenderly,
arranging her dark skirts, her pockets
full of lichens and seeds.
I slept as never before, a stone on the river bed,
nothing between me and the white fire of the stars
but my thoughts, and they flowed light as moths
among the branches of the perfect trees.
All night I heard the small kingdoms
breathing around me, the insects,
and the birds who do their work in the darkness.
All night I rose and fell, as if in water,
grappling with a luminous doom. By morning
I had vanished at least a dozen times
into something better.

  -From Sleeping In The Forest by Mary Oliver