[Pollinator] Group Seeking Support for Pollinator License Plates

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Thu Feb 16 21:32:05 PST 2012

 (http://www.arlnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/pollinator-plate.jpg) A
group of local nature lovers is hoping to attract support for a  new
Virginia license plate with the inscription “Protect Polinators.” The  plate is
meant to bring attention to the role pollinators — bees, hummingbirds,
butterflies, etc. — play in supporting the vitality of the earth’s ecosystem and
food supply.
“So far we’ve had quite a lot of interest from Beekeepers, Master
Gardeners,  Naturalists (including native plant and pollinator enthusiasts), and the
Audubon  Society,” said pollinator plate organizer Samantha Gallagher. “
Like all of the  proposed new Virginia plates, we need 450 applicants, the
General Assembly’s  vote, and the DMV’s approval.”
According to the _Virginia Pollinator Plate web site_
(http://www.pollinatorplates.com/) , supporters have signed up  44 people so far. They need
another 406 commitments by November 2012  to move on to getting legislative and
DMV support. An electronic application can  be found _here_
(http://pollinatorplates.blogspot.com/p/get-your-plate.html) .
Gallagher says the purpose of the plate is not to raise money, but to raise
 awareness.
“Our plate costs $10 annually and isn’t a shared revenue plate, but our
hope  is that it provokes interest and conversation in pollinator conservation,
” she  said.