[Pollinator] The People’s Garden Initiative Celebrates 3 Years of Growth

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 07:57:39 PST 2012

>From the USDA Blog -
_The People’s Garden Initiative Celebrates 3 Years of  Growth_
(http://blogs.usda.gov/2012/02/17/the-people’
s-garden-initiative-celebrates-3-years-of-growth/)
Posted by _Livia Marqués, Director of The  People's Garden Initiative_
(http://blogs.usda.gov/author/bfrank/) , on February 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Three years ago this week, on February 12, 2009, Agriculture Secretary Tom
Vilsack commemorated President Lincoln’s 200th birthday by creating  the
first USDA People’s Garden at the “People’s Department.”  This People’s
Garden at Department headquarters in Washington D.C., initially started as an
opportunity to showcase what we do at USDA, and to encourage folks to
consider  local production and local consumption.  It was USDA’s way of walking
its  talk by providing an example to the rest of the country.  We’ve grown
quite  a bit in that short period of time. Thousands of USDA employees and
over 700  local and national organizations are participating in over 1,500
gardens.
Last night, the People’s Garden along with Abraham Lincoln, in honor of our
 namesake and _USDA’s  150th Anniversary_
(http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=USDA150) , recognized employees, agencies and partners
for their contributions to the Initiative at The People’s Garden ‘Golden
Shovel’  Award Ceremony and Reception.  And the categories are…

(http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=landing&topic=landing)
Golden Garden Gnomes will travel from People's Garden  to People's Garden
in Iowa and Maryland in honor of their contributions to the  Initiative.
Golden Shovel Awards_
Farm  Service Agency_
(http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=landing&topic=landing)  received a ‘golden shovel’ in honor of their
commitment to  volunteerism. FSA employees are creating gardens as ways to
connect with  neighbors and local organizations in their communities. They have
set the  standard for innovative, collaborative work and volunteered a total
of 1,791  hours  of service in 2011.
_Natural  Resources Conservation Service_
(http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/national/home)  (NRCS) was presented a ‘golden shovel’ for
being the agency with the most number of People’s Gardens. NRCS has created
385  gardens over a three year period. These gardens range in type from
growing  healthy, nutritious food to conserving, restoring and protecting our
nation’s  natural resources.
Golden Garden Gnome Awards
Golden garden gnomes were presented to two ‘Top  States’ – Iowa and
Maryland. More People’s Gardens are growing in Iowa – 73 to  be exact —  than any
other state. And People’s Gardens in Maryland donated  more produce – over
700,000 lbs – during the 2011 growing season than any other  state. In
total, USDA donated 1.1 million pounds of fresh produce to local food  banks and
charities across the country through our ‘Share Your Harvest’  effort.
These gnomes will be a fun way for participants to share their passion and
excitement about their projects with each other and the public. Each gnome
will  travel from People’s Garden to People’s Garden in Iowa and Maryland.
We plan to  track their journey with _blog_
(http://blogs.usda.gov/category/peoples-garden/)  posts, photos _on twitter_
(http://twitter.com/#!/peoplesgarden)  and on our _interactive  map_
(http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=GARDEN_RT7&parentnav=PEOPLES_GARDEN&navtype=RT) . Happy
traveling!

People's Garden volunteer and USDA employee Loretta  Thomas received an
award for volunteering over 100 hours at Headquarters  People's Garden.
Special Recognition Awards
Special recognition was given to organizations  that have been supporters
and partners of the People’s Garden from the  start.
    *   _DC Central Kitchen_ (http://www.dccentralkitchen.org/)  (DCCK)
was recognized as the first partner of the People’s Garden  and as a  leader
in using food as a tool to strengthen the community in the District. _DCCK’s
Truck Farm_ (http://www.dccentralkitchen.org/truckfarm/) , a  traveling,
edible exhibit that teaches urban kids about healthy food sponsored  by PG,
accepted a certificate of appreciation as well.
    *   _American Community Gardening  Association_
(http://communitygarden.org/)  was acknowledged for being a major supporter of community  greening
in urban and rural communities.
    *   _Junior Master Gardener_ (http://jmgkids.us/)  and _FoodCorps_
(http://foodcorps.org/)  were honored for teaching kids,  building school
gardens and igniting a passion for learning, success and  service in youth.
    *   _Keep America  Beautiful_
(http://www.kab.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index)  was recognized for their dedication to growing healthy gardens
in the communities of their affiliates.
    *   _AmpleHarvest.org_ (http://ampleharvest.org/)  and _SNAPGardens_
(http://www.snapgardens.org/)  were congratulated for  their continued efforts
to connect Americans with the resources they need to  feed others and
themselves.
    *   A special thank you went to _Pollinator Partnership_
(http://www.pollinator.org/)  for working with  us on our yearly Pollinator Festival and
for promoting public awareness about  pollinators – birds, bees, bats,
butterflies, beetles, and other pollinating  animals – who are responsible for
pollinating one-third of the nation’s food  supply.
So many individuals and groups play a role in our success and we recognize
that we couldn’t make an impact without this support. From our new and
improved  _website_
(http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=PEOPLES_GARDEN) ,  to the _Native American  garden_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liNs0wDhcKA)  planted last spring with the Office of Tribal Relations and Let
’s  Move, and many other successes, thank you for _joining  us_
(http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=GARDEN_RT4&parentnav=PEOPLES_GARDEN&
navtype=RT) ! Thanks so much for your hard work and contributions.

Tags: _DC._ (http://blogs.usda.gov/tag/dc/) , _FSA_
(http://blogs.usda.gov/tag/fsa/) , _NRCS_ (http://blogs.usda.gov/tag/nrcs/) , _People's Garden_
(http://blogs.usda.gov/tag/peoples-garden/) , _usda150_
(http://blogs.usda.gov/tag/usda150/) , _Washington_ (http://blogs.usda.gov/tag/washington/)