[Pollinator] mason bees and allergies

Logan Minter log_mint at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 13:19:23 PST 2012

I would as a rule, proceed with caution on this subject.  Allergies can vary between people and the species of insect.  Just because one person reacts to a one species and not another, does not mean that another will react in a similar manner.  For example, I know some people react very badly to almost any hymenoptera sting, while other can have very specific reactions.  (i.e. I suddenly developed an allergy to honey bees about two years ago, but have since been stung by halictids, squash bees, paper wasps, and velvet ants with no adverse effects...yet!)I would think that in this case, you might market your plan as using "non-aggressive" bees, but mention that it would be prudent to exercise caution around any wild animal (even if they are small as insects ;)
Good luck with the project!
-Logan

Logan Minter, Graduate Research/ Teaching AssistantUniversity of Kentucky, Department of EntomologyPollination Ecology/ Extension EntomologyS-225 Ag Science Ctr. North, Lexington, KY 40546-0091Office: S-207B  Cell#: (740) 970-2053log_mint at yahoo.comHomepage