[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 02/01/12 (Costa Rica Hummingbird Report)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Mon Mar 5 07:18:21 PST 2012

We're beginning to think it takes longer to write up results of our Neotropical hummingbird expeditions than it does to actually implement the trips. That's why we're just now posting a summary of our early February excursion to Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica. (We hope you think it was worth the wait.) Numbers of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were down, but our citizen scientists were really good at capturing returning birds from past years and demonstrating site fidelity for more than one species. To view our "This Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay for 1-29 February 2012, please visit http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek120201.html

While there, don't forget to scroll down for a list of birds we banded not in the tropics but at Hilton Pond, where we also did pretty well at recapturing some old birds that have been here before. There's a comment about the scarcity of winter birds, plus acknowledgements for folks who make all these investigations possible.

Happy (Neotropical) Nature Watching!

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org