[Pollinator] Hymenoptera venom allergy

Peter Loring Borst peterlborst at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:52:54 PST 2012

I was unable to find a single reported case of allergic reaction to Osmia, or any bees outside of the Apidae family

The majority of serious sting-related reactions are caused by insects belonging to the order Hymenoptera. Within this order, three families are medically important:

	• The Apidae family (honeybees and bumblebees).
	• The Vespidae family (yellow jackets, yellow hornets, white faced hornets, and paper wasps).
	• The Formicidae family (fire ants, harvester ants, bulldog ants, and jack jumper ants).

Diagnosis of Hymenoptera venom allergy, James M Tracy, DO

In the central and northern Europe vespid (mainly Vespula spp.) and
honeybee stings are the most prevalent, whereas in the Mediterranean area stings
from Polistes and Vespula are more frequent than honeybee stings; bumblebee
stings are rare throughout Europe and more of an occupational hazard.

With respect to allergic sting reactions mainly social
Aculeatae – Vespidae (vespids), Apidae (bees), and
Formicidae (ants) – are of importance.

Diagnosis of Hymenoptera venom allergy, Allergy 2005: 60: 1339–1349

> For the more common causes of sting allergy, such as yellowjackets, honeybees, and imported fire ants, immunotherapy prescribed by an allergist may be available. It involves repeated injections of increasing doses of venom extracts, but in the case of imported fire ants, whole body extracts have been used successfully. ... for less common causes of sting allergy, commercial extracts are not available.

ANIMAL BITES AND STINGS WITH ANAPHYLACTIC POTENTIAL, The Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 148–156, 2009

Peter Loring Borst
128 Lieb Road
Spencer, NY  14883
607 280 4253
peterloringborst.com

I take the trouble to protest against these assumptions, because they are not merely harmless fancies, but theories that are apt to paralyse action and encourage scientific indolence. -- James Crichton-Browne