[Pollinator] Saving the plant life

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 17:26:27 PDT 2012

>From THE STAR

Saving the plant life
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:00

    *
(http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/saving-the-plant-life/1303558/#)     *
(http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/saving-the-plant-life/1303558/#)

Richard Pender examines plants in Hawaii as part of his research into their
 reproduction

The birds and the bees. It's an age-old story that makes the world go
round.  But what happens when the birds and bees disappear?

Former Lincoln High  School student Richard Pender is currently in Hawaii,
researching the impact on  plants when the creatures that pollinate them
become extinct.

"It is a  question that is of global concern, and the questions I am
addressing in Hawaii  can be directly applied to New Zealand's flora," said Mr
Pender, a PhD  student.

Mr Pender said Hawaii, like New Zealand, has a lot of species  found
nowhere else in the world due to its isolation as an island.

This  makes it ideal for studying unique plant species and the effects of
invasion by  plant introduction, he said.

Mr Pender said he loves Hawaii and that it's  "an awesome place" to live
and study.

"I'm interested in islands and how  floras evolve on islands. Hawaii is one
of the best places to work and study in  that regard. I'm really into the
outdoors, so when I do get time off I like to  make the most of it. Hawaii
allows me to live a really good life while working  really hard."

Mr Pender is studying at the Manoa Campus in Honolulu at  the University of
Hawaii, and said the island is not so different from his  homeland.

"Both places have a fairly laid-back atmosphere. That's  something I really
appreciate."

As a student at Lincoln High School, Mr  Pender was "really into
horticulture", which led to a post-school apprenticeship  at the Christchurch Botanic
Gardens and two years working at the Royal  Horticultural Society in England.

He then returned to New Zealand to  study a Bachelor of Science at the
University of Canterbury.

Now Mr  Pender is fulfilling his love of horticulture as he investigates
how the flora  of Hawaii reproduce in the absence of their pollinators.

"Plants are  amazing! Growing plants is both art and science. Horticulture
and botany is  really multi-faceted, taking in environmentalism, evolution,
design, history.  I'm really lucky to be involved in this career path. I
also get to work with  some really cool people who are just as passionate about
plants and the  environment as I am."

Mr Pender's research was born after arriving in  Hawaii and realising that
only a small number of studies on the impacts of bird  pollinator loss had
been conducted.

"Essentially I am hoping to find out  if the plants that I am working with
can still be pollinated by Hawaiian  honeycreepers, which are a group of
bird species that evolved in Hawaii. Some of  the bird species have bills
adapted for feeding from the nectar of Hawaiian  lobeliads. So they are
mutualists, each helping the other out."

Mr Pender  said destruction of the plant and pollinators' habitats and
invasion by other  species means many of the honeycreeper and lobeliad species
are now extinct or  endangered.

His research has shown the plants he's working with can  partially
compensate for pollinator loss.

"The only problem with this is  that self pollination has been shown to
lead to inbreeding depression due to  close relatives mating. This is a real
concern," he said.

While bee  numbers are declining globally, Mr Pender said predators are
also a major threat  to pollinators in New Zealand such as tui and bellbirds.

If we lose  pollinators, our native plants may become extinct, he said.

"The tragedy  is that those species evolved, likely over very long periods.
We [could] lose  unique species and the species are what make the fabric of
 ecosystems."

Mr Pender said he hopes his research will "raise awareness  of the problem
".

Due to finish his research at the end of the year, Mr  Pender will return
to New Zealand to continue research, education and  consultation on flora.

Mr Pender's study was made possible when he  received the J. R. Templin
Trust Scholarship which offers postgraduate students  the chance to study at a
United States university, binding them to contribute to  their industry for
two years  .