[Pollinator] for discussion: should honeybees be allowed into conservation/protected areas?

Liz Day lizday44 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 22 17:20:25 PDT 2012

About two years ago I read some of the literature on honeybee vs.
bumblebee competition, and realized that the comprehensive study that
would be needed to positively prove that this happens, even in just
one situation, would be very difficult to do.

Nevertheless, I see no good reason for honeybee hives to be placed in
the same field as the only recent sightings in Indiana of Bombus
affinis, or other bee species in trouble.  Surely the importance of
protecting them outweighs the benefit from the honeybees.   IMO, what
is needed the most quickly
is more caution rather than proof.

Of course, that is a judgement call, not a scientific answer.

cheers,
Liz Day
Indianapolis