[Pollinator] Competition by honey bees not significant

Rogel Villanueva Gutierrez rvillanu at ecosur.mx
Fri Mar 23 15:59:13 PDT 2012

Dear Peter:

Unfortunately there are several factors that contribute to the competition
between honey bees and wild bees: David Roubik and me have recorded in the
Yucatán peninsula that nesting of Centris and Megachile diminishes abruptly
when there is to much precipitation due to hurricanes or when there is a
long drought period.  Also deforestation of the natural vegetation increases
this competition (less habitat and food sources, more competition).

All the best,

Rogel